Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-17-2009, 05:41 AM

Trigger Man is on a distinguished road

I wonder why this does not happen in the ocean. I was wondering the same thing as I notice that my bases of many of my corals don't seem very thick, and I figure this may be caused by my dosing which causes the coral to grow quickly and more slender, where as without dosing maybe the coral would have grown slower but thicker. So do you dose your tank (i don't remember)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamed View Post
The tank is approaching two years old now. It seems to have an entirely new set of challenges now.

Some of the faster growing coral heads are simply collapsing under their own weight. Well...Freckles (aka "the submarine") might give them a gentle nudge. But they inevitably snap off right at their tiny base.

Here's today's frag!

As the coral gets really large, the inner/lower areas don't get any light and tend to die off. As a result the coral just adds weight to it's top and never reinforces the bottom. It would seem that a healthy dose of constant trimming is the ticket to longer term, sustainable, large coral heads. (at least with faster growing types)