Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-20-2012, 12:03 AM

Enigma is on a distinguished road
Default Reef Safe Cement With Good Local Availability

I need a reef safe cement that has good local availability.

I kind of randomly tossed some rock together, and came up with a scape that I love. I want to cement it all together before I move it.

Unfortunately, I built it in the downstairs bathroom: so close to the door that only two of us who live in house can even get the door open far enough to get into the bathroom.

What can I purchase here in Calgary, pronto, that is reef safe? I've read that Portland #3 is good, but I also think it might have limited availability. I'm not overly worried about silicates: I'm just worried about not killing anything.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:51 AM
Good Guy Albert

albert_dao will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to albert_dao

lol, wut?

All cements will have an impact on your pH values. Most cements will be safe once you cure them. Are you able to throw the structure into a large tub of water for six weeks?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:05 AM

Enigma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_dao View Post
lol, wut?

All cements will have an impact on your pH values. Most cements will be safe once you cure them. Are you able to throw the structure into a large tub of water for six weeks?
It is for my contest tank. I won't get quite six weeks, I don't think. I don't remember the first livestock addition date. December 1, maybe? Five weeks? Safe enough to add a Kenya tree.

Oh! Lol. My three-year-old and I are the ones who can get through the door.

I had a brain fart. As long as I used aragonite sand I won't have an issue with silicates. Right? I have some big bits of crushed shells, too.

Home Depot has the regular Portland cement, so I'll just pick up a bag of that for $12.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Good Guy Albert

Silicates? I don't think they're going to be an issue... I make all of my frag plugs (250-500 lot batches) out of portland white + play sand aggregate, so you should be fine.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:10 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

You want Emaco General Purpose or Emaco General Purpose R400. Cures at ph7 and can be used instantly. I used it to build my reefscape in my 280g (2 years running now).

Availability info in this post - http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...3&postcount=14
Old 10-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Good Guy Albert

Well would you look at that. Learn something new everyday

♥ Toneh.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:35 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

LOL Albert. Hey I'm a loveable guy.

Anyhow I guess I should add I used it in my 65g as well. In both tanks I did exactly as you describe you want to do: I scaped out a structure, solidified it with rods and cement then dropped them in the tank. I love the stuff, it blends into the rock perfectly. Coraline has an affinity for it too so it gets covered quickly.

Anyhow if you want some of my leftover bag, you're welcome to come borrow it. Only thing I ask if you could bring the bag back when you're done because I might do some more aquascaping down the road one day. Two tanks and I've only used maybe 25% of it, a little goes a long way. I live in the deep south. PM me if that works.