Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 06-19-2010, 02:36 PM

nlreefguy is on a distinguished road
Default Let me know what you think of my 54 gallon reef

This is my 54 gallon reef system. No sump! All HOB equipment right now including eshopps psk-100h skimmer, 2 TLF reactors with carbon and NP biopellets, Eheim 1262 on a hang-on closed loop returning water to the system via two Sea Swirls, Tunze 6045 powerhead (adding a second next week), and all controlled by an Aquatronica controller.

Though you can't see them, there's a fair number of fish in there including a yellow tang, green mandarin, 2 yellowtail damsels (damn them!), 2 ocellaris clowns, one-spot rabbitfish,and a longfinned fairy wrasse. There's 35 coral colonies I think, of over 30 separate species. The idea I'm going with there is a mixed reef setup dominated by SPS.

I've been thinking about adding a sump via a HOB overflow to give me more skimmer options because my eshopps is not really doing it for me and I find it a little on the loud side (not that it's all that loud, but I just dream of an absolutely silent tank, and when the skimmer is off I almost achieve it!)

Sorry about the crappy pic (no photo skills). Let me know what you think and if you have any suggestions!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2608.jpg (46.3 KB, 100 views)
Old 06-19-2010, 02:40 PM

hillegom is on a distinguished road

It looks good. More pics please
A sump would be good. More water in the system and you can add filters, refug, Bad crabs etc
Old 06-19-2010, 02:56 PM

Here's some more pics. These are not very representative of he colors of the corals. For some reason, I don't seem to be able to take a good pic of the tank. Anyone have any easy tips for picture taking with a typical point and shoot? I'm using a Canon Power Shot SD1000 Digital Elph. Anyway, these pics show you the right and left sides of the tank, as I said the corals are actually a lot more colorful than this with the naked eye.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg left side.jpg (37.2 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg right side.jpg (36.7 KB, 71 views)
Old 06-19-2010, 03:23 PM

Oh yes, i forgot to mention that it's lit by a 250 watt metal halide (right now has a plusrite 14000K) and supplemented by a DIY dimming LED actinic strip (works great, by the way, and very cost-effective).
Old 06-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Tank looks really nice! Maybe try using a tripod and making sure that the focus confirmation is on (or back off a bit and use the highest quality photo setting, then you can zoom and crop later). As well you could try using the white balance. Find something white (say a piece of PVC or something) and take a photo of it in your tank using the white balance setting, that should help with the colors

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:10 PM

scherzo is on a distinguished road

The tank looks great.

As Christie said, Don't zoom in just move closer or crop later and check the white balance.

I often find just setting the camera to a "SUN" setting for the white balance works for my bulbs (14K Phoenix)

-jeff