Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Nano Tank Talk

Old 01-27-2004, 05:36 AM

aussiefishy is on a distinguished road
Default need some help on my new 20G nano project

here is what i am thinking. i want to transfer my corals from my 120 to a new 20 g, and here is some of the specs i can think of, please help me to finalize my plan.

currently i have these leftovers:

i have a 20 gallon sump, a aquamedic miniflotor skimmer, heater hagen 150W submersible, LR plenty and corals plenty.

i am thinking of using HQI pendants, can anyone give me any opinions on the heat issue and livestock suitability if i choose 1 20000k HQI as light? or any alternative? if HQI is ok, do i have to add antinics?

i will do the overflow plan, with a 500-700 GPH return pump... and no powerheads, but 1 internal filter, is it OK?

please help because i want to set this up right ASAP!! thank you very much!
Old 01-27-2004, 11:09 PM

whaase is on a distinguished road

I can't comment too much, but here is 2 links for 20g reff tank. Both are amazing. Lot's of info there.

http://www.californiareefs.com/tank20reef.htm

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=235272

Walter
Old 01-28-2004, 12:09 AM

Stretch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: need some help on my new 20G nano project

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiefishy
i am thinking of using HQI pendants, can anyone give me any opinions on the heat issue and livestock suitability if i choose 1 20000k HQI as light? or any alternative? if HQI is ok, do i have to add antinics?
Heat i don't think will be too bad, I ran a 175watt over my old 20g i had it mounted about 8 inches over the water. My temps never went over 81F in the summer. a 150 watt HQI will be awesome they generate more light that 250watt SE bulbs. You could keep pretty much any coral or clam or whatever else you want. As for actinic lighting you don't have too, I've been run actinic less on my 75g since october. It just really depends on what DE bulb you buy if you don't like the color you can always add actinic. Actinic is really just for color
Old 01-29-2004, 03:21 AM

Coffeeman is on a distinguished road

I just mounted a 250 watt 20k over my 20 gallon, right now the light is 10" over the water and heat is not an issue at all.I think I might try to drop it down a few more inches.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:42 AM

Coffeeman is on a distinguished road

Looks like I spoke too soon, I had to take the 250 watt mh off my 20 because it was getting too hot and there was too much evaporation.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:37 PM

DOO-E is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DOO-E Send a message via Yahoo to DOO-E

just place a piece or a couple of peices of glass over th tank then you get the lighting and alot less evaporation.
Old 06-10-2004, 02:22 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

I can give two pieces of advice based on my experience. 150watt heater in a 20 gallon tank is too much, not that it won't be efficient but what happens if that thermostat sticks? (long time fear of mine) The other comment is that the amount of flow from your sump will be awsome in a 20 gallon, try to creat a spray bar to disperse the flow. What kind of internal filter will you have in the tank?
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 06-16-2004, 05:27 AM

bear27 is on a distinguished road

I run a 250 hqi 10,000k ushio over my 20
i handled the heat problem but mounting a fan to blow across the water plus it ads nice shimmer lines
Old 06-16-2004, 03:01 PM

mr_alberta is on a distinguished road

I think a HQI pendant 12" from the surface of the water would be fine. Just use a higher K bulb and you shouldn't need actinics unless you really like the blue look. I wouldn't put a glass cover on your tank for 2 reasons: 1)salt creep on the glass requiring constant cleaning 2)your tank temperature will go up.

If you are worried about fish jumping, then use eggcrate, but you will cut down on some of the light going into your tank. Depending on how much flow you want in your tank, you could always do a Mag X through a SCWD. Just make sure you get a beefier pump as the SCWD really cuts down on flow.