Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 05-20-2012, 01:59 PM

Enigma is on a distinguished road
Default Check valves for 1/2" or 3/4" Vinyl Tubing?

Where can I find check valves for 1/2" or 3/4" vinyl tubing?

I think I've got all of our plumbing parts together for our drilled tank and sump. I haven't been able to turn up check valves for our return, however. I'll need either one 3/4" check valve or two 1/2" check valves (our return splits from 3/4" off of the pump into two 1/2" lines).

Any recommendations as to where I can find these?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:15 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Can't help you on where to find one, although I would like to suggest that you design your system in way that you don't rely on check valves to keep your floor dry. Redundancy is key when coming up with a good design, so if you design the system so back flow is minimal (keep return lines high, use stand pipes in the overflow) and the sump has space for the back flow then check valves are a moot point, and you don't have to worry about failure.

SPS fanatic.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:37 PM

Our returns will be above the waterline, and we'll be using a secondary container in the event of back flow. Our sump will sit inside the aquarium we cracked while drilling (we're patching it up), but the sump itself will accommodate the backflow (providing I can do this and keep the pump submerged).

Once I figured out exactly what to google, I found a Canadian source for the check valve. I think they're a board sponsor, but I need to confirm that before I post the name of the outfit.

The check valve is just a little bit of insurance for us: in case we mess up (which we will at some point ).

Edit: Yes, they are a board sponsor. Go Reef Inc. has a great selection of check valves. Ordering was easy, and shipping was $9 for the valve and three bulkheads I ordered.

Last edited by Enigma; 05-20-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:46 PM

daplatapus is on a distinguished road

I hope I don't come across as a pessimist here, but there is something about using a check valve for safety that inherently scares me. They are completely prone to failure. They rely very much on being, and staying, clean. After looking at my 9 month old tank, nothing is clean. There's tiny little spiroid worms and calcareous thingys everywhere. I can't see how a check valve could possible work after just a couple months hooked into my system. And part of the problem with check valves is you don't know they're going to fail until that one time you need them most and they stick.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daplatapus View Post
I hope I don't come across as a pessimist here, but there is something about using a check valve for safety that inherently scares me. They are completely prone to failure. They rely very much on being, and staying, clean. After looking at my 9 month old tank, nothing is clean. There's tiny little spiroid worms and calcareous thingys everywhere. I can't see how a check valve could possible work after just a couple months hooked into my system. And part of the problem with check valves is you don't know they're going to fail until that one time you need them most and they stick.
Very good to know. I'll be sure to place it where I can easily see it and get to it. We're going on vacation in August, and the tank isn't even running yet. I may wait until the week before we leave to install the check valve.

The repaired tank that we'll be using as a little bit of insurance should easily hold ten gallons for a day or two. It is the same size as the display tank: 40B. The sump should hold 5 gallons. So, we could potentially deal with 15 gallons of back siphon for a brief period of time. The repaired tank can only be relied on to be a very short term container. The returns will be positioned high enough that we shouldn't really get any back siphon.