Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-28-2011, 03:11 AM

Beanz is on a distinguished road
Default What are some cool little inverts?

Hey all, so i have finally decided that I'm gonna have my 15 gallon tank be an invert tank. The only thing is that its a pretty small tank and I haven't really dealt with any other inverts other than the shrimp i have and hermits. So I am looking for some suggestions for some cool inverts that are compatible and will be ok in this size of tank. I have a cleaner shrimp and some snails in there right now but if the cleaner will be an issue with other inverts I would move him. O and the last thing is I would be looking for inverts that wouldn't disturb/irritate corals cause its gonna mixed reef.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 AM

doch is on a distinguished road

Sexy shrimp, and Pom Pom Crabs!! Both are awesome.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

My tank Journal: http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75924
Old 09-28-2011, 03:20 AM

jtbadco is on a distinguished road

Those are great selections!!! I would add a linkia starfish
Old 09-28-2011, 03:21 AM

Thanks for the suggestions doch. And i think sexy shrimp r really neat, would they b alright with the cleaner shrimp or would he have to be moved before the sexy shrimp were added. Also I was on live aquaria cause its handy to look at different livestock on and it said that the pom pom crabs could injure corals with their little nems. Would this be a concern for me considering the size of the display tank?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:24 AM

jtbadco is on a distinguished road

I have Sexy shrimp with Cleaners,...never been an issue.

The nems the Pom Pom crabs have are very small and they use them for gathering food. Very small risk to other corals.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:25 AM

I had Pom Poms and Sexy shrimp... both with cleaners. No problems with the shrimp or the corals.

160 gallon Reef, almost all SPS, a few LPS, small handfull of Zoas, and 5 clams. LOVING the upgrade (now that most of the work is done!)

Old 09-28-2011, 03:28 AM

Ok sweeeeeeeeet. I think i may go with those guys, how many of each would you recommend for my set up? And I don't think I would be able to keep a linckia alive because of the volume of the system. I'm sure the parameters fluctuate enough to make one of those guys unhappy.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:09 AM

viperfish is on a distinguished road

Pistol Shrimp and Watchman Goby pair. I have a pair in my tank, they don't bother anyone and the Pistol spends the day fixing up the cave. They are quite entertaining to watch.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by medhatreefguy View Post
Pistol Shrimp and Watchman Goby pair. I have a pair in my tank, they don't bother anyone and the Pistol spends the day fixing up the cave. They are quite entertaining to watch.
+1!! I love these guys. Get a pistol, goby, 1 pom ppom and 5 sexy's. Make sure that the Sexy's have a hammer or something like that to live in. I loved my group of them, but they slowly got picked off by my risky fish choices. And a barnacle blenny!!! So cute!

Old 09-28-2011, 05:19 AM

philg3 is on a distinguished road

+1 for the pistol goby pairs, symbiotics are really cool, sounds perfect for your size tank.

I also had an Emerald Crab when i first set up my 20 gallon, he ate all the hair algae in my tank by his lonely, and then proceeded to quadruple in size. That tank was his. He would stand on the top of his rock and wave his arms around like a boss. Caught him one morning with only my little black Clownfishes fin left. He never managed to kill any corals or inverts though. Sent him to a 2.5 gallon beta tank jail with some rock rubble, but he didnt last long in my roommates room. I still miss Kramer the murder crab though, he had tons of personality.

But how about a couple of Harlequin shrimp? really cool looking and they eat starfish almost exclusively.

http://piratefx.hubpages.com/hub/Harlequin-Shrimp

If your going for zoanthids or mushrooms beware the sexy shrimp, i have a couple in my tank and they have pretty much destroyed my only zoa frag.