Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Q&A

Old 11-23-2010, 07:34 PM

KevinK is on a distinguished road
Default uploading pictures

cant find where to put this.

I want to opload pictures however it informs me that I can only upload 350 kb ore so,

so I went to my album and deleted all my pictures there, and wanted to opload, but again it informs me it is all used,

how come I cant upload pictures ?

I asume creating albums is there to show things, how come I can only put an x amount of pictures in, and than if I want to ad pictures in av thread, it is not pouseble.

I try to keep pictures small, however even if I would have pictures of 30Kb, than I can still only ad 10 and than it is over

how douse this all work

I only have a few pic's out here on canreef, do I have to delete everything first?

Kevin
Old 11-23-2010, 07:38 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

You are right, they do limit the number of KB (space) as if they opened it up to more, it would most definitely cost them more to operate the site.

I myself, since I have web servers, put my images on my boxes, and then link to them, this way I am gauranteed to always have them and the space is unlimited. I also do believe others use services like Photo Bucket, to do the same thing.

I do think they should give us more, but that is really up to the site owner.

In regards to you deleting the images, but the space still being used up. Try logging off, then back in and see if that fixes it. Also check, just to make sure you actually deleted them. If it says you did, there could be an issue on the site/server side. I recently found a problem where I couldn't update the title of a thread I created, Tony/Delphinus found the issue and fixed that. Maybe with the recent move there is another issue from it.

Hope this helps a bit.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 11-23-2010, 07:51 PM

what do you mean with my box?

I hate foto bucket and all tho's on line things, as when you read some, lets say reef central things, all in a sudden the pictures are not in there anymore.

I only have 14 pictures up here (when I beleave what it tells me, under my proflie)

I went to each picture, and went to propperty's

the total of the 14 pictures is 72659 B, and as I asume a kilo is still 1000, it means I only used 72.65 KB

when uploading pictures it tells me I used 376 kb

I log out and log in again, still the same
Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I'm not sure what the attachment limit is on Canreef's servers, it could be you've hit the ceiling on that. I'm not sure how to delete old attachments since I've never tried it myself. I'll see what I can find out .. or if someone else knows, please chime in and let us know.

I'd suggest photobucket in this case. I use photobucket and also Shaw's photoshare for some things. The only reason threads at reefcentral don't always show the pictures because the people themselves delete their old photos rather than upgrade their account once they hit the limit, or sign up with a new account so they themselves went in and deleted the pictures.

I know Titus was trying to get the Canreef photoshare going again (MUCH bigger limit than the attachments on posts) but I have no idea where he is with that at the moment (sorry!!)..
Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

To be honest I am not even aware that photopost is still working, I assume some people use it but I have always found it to be cumbersome.

It does say that your photos need to be a certain size (kb) however they also need to be a certain size in pixels from my understanding. Personally I haven't used it in years and after having problems with it at first, ended up moving on to something easier.

I'm not sure how you guys are getting there? When I click on the photo gallery in the canreef homepage, it says "internal error".

All I can suggest is possibly hosting them somewhere else, I'm not sure why you're having problems with photobucket, I've used them for years without a problem, its only if you delete something that it would break the link.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:32 PM

interesting

max file size it mentions 195 kb (a picture)

as I mention, I have 14 in total, totalling 72 kb, so I'm way, way, way under

whome is the one that "call it" plays the cards for this

is there not somone that manage the technical side of Canreef?

I hate to go somewhere ells to put my pictures, and wiuth this, it woud maybe be the easy way, but how douse this relate to how the program Canreef is runing under should fuction
Old 11-23-2010, 10:07 PM

Milad is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Milad

kevink! make your life easy:
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70155
Old 11-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
interesting

max file size it mentions 195 kb (a picture)

as I mention, I have 14 in total, totalling 72 kb, so I'm way, way, way under

whome is the one that "call it" plays the cards for this

is there not somone that manage the technical side of Canreef?

I hate to go somewhere ells to put my pictures, and wiuth this, it woud maybe be the easy way, but how douse this relate to how the program Canreef is runing under should fuction

The photopost program that is offered with vbulletin software, to put it nicely... "sucks". It is full of bugs and IMO isn't user friendly. There is supposed to be some sort of fabulous upgrade that came with the new vbulletin software but it hasn't been installed yet as part of the upgrade. Titus is the "technical" guy and he is planning on doing the upgrade soon but with work and other commitments it just hasn't happened yet.

Frankly we're not so worried if you don't use the photopost software, you're certainly welcome to use any other program you like, it doesn't bother us any. You're right, the program Canreef is running should work but well, it doesn't and there isn't really much we can do about it if its a buggy POS program to begin with. We didn't remove it as it has some archived photos in there that we wanted to retain and I don't think its functionality can be turned off without removing access to those photos, which would leave us a lot of red X's in various threads.

All I can say is that hopefully Titus will install the upgrade soon and hopefully it will be wonderfully user friendly and encourage all of us to use it, but until that time I don't think there is much we can do for you in the way of helping you out with photopost. I'd try but I can't even seem to access it so...

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:53 AM

whell it is to bad, but than I have to put the pictures somewher ells and put the link up.

nothing against Canreef, however it would have bin nice to ad a picture at the location where it should be.

lets x our fingers for the future.

thanks for the coment (am I the only one that has this proublem)

Kevin
Old 11-24-2010, 02:37 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

find photo-bucket works fine