Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-10-2010, 01:31 AM

mark is on a distinguished road
Default Dinner plate tangs

so just how long does it take a Tang to out grow a tank?

See often "your tanks too small, those fish grow the size of dinner plates", but doubt my Purple (had about 8 years) and the Regal (~4 years) are much bigger than 5".
Old 11-10-2010, 02:12 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Personally I think its all about how well they're fed in the first year or two but thats just my opinion. I've had my regal since 2005 and he was about 5" when I got him from a fellow reefer. He's maybe 7" now he eats like a pig.

Contrast that with the orange shoulder tang I got this past March (no idea on age, I got it from the LFS and it had juvenile colors). It was about 4" when I got it and is now approaching the size of the regal, that is some crazy fast growth and yes, he also eats like a pig

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Christy. My yellow never grew at all, and I had it for almost 10 years.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:28 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Interesting thread.
Whenever I buy a fish I record the date purchased and the length of the fish. So I can give you a pretty good idea; at least with these three species. I also feed quite heavily and they are all fat.
Sailfin Tang: 4" to 6" in 30 months
Kole Tang: 4" to 5.5" in 19 months
Chocolate Tang: 3.5" to 4.5" in 11 months
Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 AM

marie is on a distinguished road

I have a yellow tang that I've had for 5.5 yrs and is still the same size as when I bought him.....my achilles on the other hand was 3" 4.5 yrs ago and is now approx 9" (90% of his growth happened in the first 2 yrs)

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252
Old 11-10-2010, 02:42 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Someone linked to an article (well, more of a blog I think) a couple weeks ago where he talked of carbon use and the buildup of generic "organics" and his theory was that it was the buildup of organics over time, that which can't be easily skimmed out, that contributed to the max size of fish, smaller than that of their wild counterparts .. more so than tank size and the old addage that they grow to the tank and stop. I don't think he cited any research so who knows how close to the mark that was but nevertheless it does seem an interesting (and plausible) theory.

My desjardini sailfin tang is 9 years old and I'm not sure that he has stopped growing but I don't have a good way to quantify that. He's certainly 3 times the length that he was in 2001. That said he's considerably smaller than those I have seen in public aquariums.

Heard lots of theories about this sort of thing, ranging from "they grow to the size of the aquarium" to "they never stop growing" to "they don't really stop growing but they develop skeletal issues and eventually perish prematurely because they CAN'T grow properly" and now this last one (that was clearly in favour of carbon usage to combat the buildup of "organics") in that it has nothing to do with water volume but rather the chemical soups that tanks tend to become over time.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:49 AM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Had to sell a few of these tangs as they out grew the tank (Much faster than anticipated but it varies between genus). My Acanthurus and Naso genus tangs grow really fast while my Zebrasoma and Ctenochaetus grew muuuch slower.

Vlamingi- 3-6.5" in 8 months
Yellowfin- 4-7" in 5 months
Orange Socket tang- 2-7" in 18 months
Yellow- 3-5" in 13 months
Purple- 6.5-7" in 3 months
Chocolate Mimic- 3-4" in 13 months
Orange Chocolate Mimic- 5-5.5" in 6 months
2 Spot Bristtletooth- 3-4" in 13 months

And there all fat little piggies.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:51 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Did he say the carbon as well as the organics led to diminished size? That's interesting as I've heard that carbon may be a link to HLLE in Tangs and Angels.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about

No I think he was suggesting that the organics were the cause and that carbon was really the only way to mitigate the buildup of organics. Now that you mention it I remember hearing that there was thought to be a link between HLLE and carbon but I wonder, now that we have access to higher quality carbons, could that have been more an artifact of lesser grade carbons with more metals content? I wonder if anyone's gone back and taken another look at that.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:57 AM

Sorry forgot the link - here it is - http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/200...k-need-carbon/