Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 06-27-2010, 01:23 PM

Wayne is on a distinguished road
Default Fish getting trapped in skimmer

I have a Red Sea Prism Skimmer Deluxe (has the surface skimmer attachment). It has a cup with small vertical windows that my Chromis is swimming through and I have found him twice in the intake cup!

I am wondering if I can put some mesh around the intake. Just wondering what the attach it with and what type of mesh and still have it look attractive.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

oh wow, thats pretty amazing that he survived that! You don't have to use a super fine mesh for that, ever bought cherry tomatoes that come in that red mesh bag? That would be perfect. If you can find some magnets you can hide the mesh on the inside of the cup and then use the magnets to keep it attached.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:52 PM

Oh yeah the first time one got in there I found him right away. The second time I came home and found him in there, just kinda swimming back and forth. Got him out after who knows how long, and he resumed normal swimming out front like nothing happened.

I will be buying some cherry tomatoes today I think I think I might just superglue (reef stuff) the bag to the inside of the cup holes. Would be less noticable...
Old 06-27-2010, 05:06 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Gutter Guard is another great product for screening intakes and places where you don't want fish to get in. You can find it in the rain gutter isle of hardware stores.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 06-27-2010, 05:24 PM

Borderjumper is on a distinguished road

plastic needlepoint mesh works well too. Yesterday I cut a piece to fit over the intake screen on my RSM to keep a neon goby from going thru. It workes really well and is availabe in a couple of different size mesh.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:36 PM

Does gutter gaurd bend easily? I was looking at some nylon mesh bags that I could cut up but I envisioned super glueing myself to the intake cup
Old 06-27-2010, 11:54 PM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

Gutter guard bends quite easily. I have it wrapped around a pump intake and an overflow drain to keep smaller things from going in.

I had this gutter guard basket picture handy just to show you what the material looks like. It comes in small rolls like toilet paper.

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour
Old 06-28-2010, 03:17 AM

Thats not to bad. Maybe I will just zip tie it around the outside till the fish gets big enough he can't fit through any more. Will head down to Home Depot and have a look see on my next day off