Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 01-21-2010, 03:28 PM

rocco134 is on a distinguished road
Default TLF Phosban Reactor

I purchased one of these units (actually 2 of them - J&L had a package deal - 1 to run carbon and the other to run phosban) and it should arrive tomorrow. Will I be happy with their performance?
Old 01-21-2010, 03:41 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

Mine always seem to partially plug after 14 days
Old 01-21-2010, 03:56 PM

shrimpchips is on a distinguished road

when you close it, make sure the O-ring seats properly, or they will slowly leak.

Other than that, they're pretty decent things.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:16 PM

thanks for the tip shrimpchips!

Fencer, i heard about the clogging problem. Something to do with the sponge not being seated correctly (or something like that). A quick google search should find you the solution
Old 01-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I have two as well and they work great.

For the carbon one, if you're using larger pellet carbon like kent, you won't need the sponge on the bottom, I just use the one on top as I run them full out and don't want any rogue carbon pellets escaping. I find less sponges cut down on the detritus that gets trapped in there. I do use both sponges on the phosban one as it catches a lot of phosban bits that try to escape when I'm first flushing the phosban.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:04 PM

Binare is on a distinguished road

Make sure you restrict flow before the reactor, these things don't like to be pressurized. Everytime I've heard of one leaking its cause people are restricting AFTER the reactor... Which pressurizes it.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 PM

Makes sense.. Thanks Binare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binare View Post
Make sure you restrict flow before the reactor, these things don't like to be pressurized. Everytime I've heard of one leaking its cause people are restricting AFTER the reactor... Which pressurizes it.
Christy... do you run yours in series (daisy chained is what they call it i think)? If you do, what type of pump are you using. The package from J&L (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ID=tf-reactor3) comes with 1 MJ400 and they say it will be enough to run both reactors.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:02 PM

Binare is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocco134 View Post
Makes sense.. Thanks Binare!

Christy... do you run yours in series (daisy chained is what they call it i think)? If you do, what type of pump are you using. The package from J&L (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/s...ID=tf-reactor3) comes with 1 MJ400 and they say it will be enough to run both reactors.
If you run em in series, you'll basically have to shut both down to do maintenance on one. You'll also have a hard time getting flow right through both. They will both have the same amount of flow... Different media will require different flow. I'd tee off the pump, then put the ball valve on each outlet, then reactor after each valve. That way you can adjust flow independantly. Maintenance is also easier. Simply turn off the valve for the one you want to remove stopping flow to it, but leaving the other one running. Depending on your media, a mj400 may not be enough for 2 in parallel, essentially cuts the flow available to each one in half. I reccomend pre-filters on pumps feeding reactors as well. The sponge will stop pods n such from getting trapped in the reactors and rotting away inside... Kinda defeats the purpose of running them.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:22 PM

Thanks again, Binare!!
Old 01-22-2010, 09:25 PM

the box arrived this morning and it is all set up. when can i expect to see some results in terms of lowering my phosphates?