Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-24-2008, 08:31 PM

trilinearmipmap is on a distinguished road
Default CO2 tank visual inspection - Rip off?

OK for years I got my CO2 tank refilled at the same place, it always cost about $30.00 for a 10 pound CO2 tank, probably a bit high because I live in a small town. Every so many years it needs a pressure test, I forget if it's every 5 years or so.

Last time I got the tank refilled the guy said "I had to vis it" ie. do a visual inspection, he claims this is necessary every year, it sounded like a bunch of B.S. to me but I thought I would check here. Charged 30 bucks for the CO2 and another 30 bucks for "visual inspection". They are the only CO2 place in town. I'm just wondering if there is anyone else had this happen to them and if the regulations for inspection/pressure testing of CO2 tanks are posted anywhere on the internet.
Herbie's silent overflow system
Jebao DC 12000 return pump
Jecod CP-40 Cross-flow circulation device
Mini Bubble King 180
Barr Aquatics calcium reactor
Bucket fuge
Old 09-24-2008, 08:42 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Weird. I pay anywhere between $18 and $22 for a fill and I have never had to pay for a "visual inspection" in the 5 years I've had my tank. I just had to have the hydro test done last week and that was only $15 (which I was shocked at, I thought it would be closer to $50). My CO2 guy does give it a hard look every time I take the tank in as its sort of rusty on the bottom and generally ain't pretty (I think its about 50 years old) but it passed the test and got the stamp and thats good enough for me until I can find another one.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:58 PM

fencer is on a distinguished road

Visual inspection should cost you nothing. Hydrotesting yes. For 30.00 I would ask for a report on the connditon of the cylinder and a certificate. Was it posted on the wall as a charge. I would also ask to see his qualifications. Other than that i would complain to the owner of the company and ask what's going on and then take to consumer protection branch. In alberta it would be ABSA

Last edited by fencer; 09-24-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:46 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Sounds fishy to me..
Old 09-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Fill costs me about 16, hydro test after 5 years was about 15, never heard of a Vis it. Sounds like BS to me.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:08 PM

mark is on a distinguished road

I'm lucky, I just drop my 10 pounder off at the loading dock, go inside and kick over 13 bucks, walk out and there's a shiny full one sitting there. No paying for checks or inspections.

Other than welding shops have you tried a fire extinguisher place or a beverage distributor?

Know Rupert is at the end the of road but seems high.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 PM

atcguy is on a distinguished road

your tank should be visual inspected once a year and hydro every 5.. I go to a place in richmond and walk in the back fork over a ten dollar bill and they fill mine.. once they took a look inside as the tank was completly out.,
Old 09-24-2008, 11:33 PM

marie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
I'm lucky, I just drop my 10 pounder off at the loading dock, go inside and kick over 13 bucks, walk out and there's a shiny full one sitting there. No paying for checks or inspections.

Other than welding shops have you tried a fire extinguisher place or a beverage distributor?

Know Rupert is at the end the of road but seems high.
Try $110, thats what it cost me the last time I had the fire extinguisher guy take my 10lb bottle and get it filled.

*edit* and before everyone starts questioning my sanity I won't be letting him fill it again. I would rather take it out of town myself to get it filled, at least then I get the pleasure of riding the ferries

300g tank
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86252

Last edited by marie; 09-24-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:39 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

I don't think the annual visual inspection is BS, but to be charged $30 for it? Sounds like a rip-off based on what others are saying.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Reefer View Post
I don't think the annual visual inspection is BS, but to be charged $30 for it? Sounds like a rip-off based on what others are saying.
Well, I've been filling mine for 6+ years, nobody has visually inspected it, at least haven't told me they did or charged me.