Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 12-04-2006, 06:07 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default Tank moved, new journal

Well I figured this is as good of time as any to start a new tank journal. I moved on Saturday to my new home in Cranston, what an ordeal. I've brought with me my 65 gallon setup with 29 gallon sump. Everything will pretty much be the same except for a few mods that I've done to the system. The only causualties from the move were some smashed up caps. It could have been worse because the water temp got down to 63 F before I was actually able to start warming everthing up. Some corals have various vading and injuries from toucing other corals, but nothing should die completely.

Before:

Everything was tucked nice under the stand because of space restrictions in the old condo.

The System had and still has:
90 lbs of LR
400 watt 14K MH
Mag 9.5 return
Coralife SS 125 skimmer
Pinpoint PH monitor

Changes:
Tank is in my unfinished basement (the cave)
Sump is now behind the tank on its own stand (old dresser) for easier access.
Upgraded my return to 1" PVC from 3/4"hose, and is feeding a spray bar that runs the length of the bottom on the tank. I figure I've gained 250 GPH of flow from the decreased head loss and increased pipe size.
Ditched the sandbed. (eating my words from years ago)
Aquascaping is vastly different

Future development
I want to develop an effective surge device (one of the reasons the tank is was banished to the basement)
Whatever tickles my fancy at the time.

Pics to come.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 12-05-2006, 04:37 AM

krisalexander is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to krisalexander

Nice looking tank, looking forward to the new pics. What did u find for the best way to transport your fish and corals? I am moving my tank for a bit then moving back for the holiday break.
thanks

kris
Old 12-05-2006, 05:20 AM

woodcarver is on a distinguished road

Beautiful tank !! Would be interested in details as I have a tank that size ,undrilled that I was thinking of setting up and wonder how you have configured the plumbing ?
...................Dave
Old 12-05-2006, 07:08 PM

Default reply

I used a ton of buckets to move the water and LR. I always try to move as much water as possible. Not all of the water made it back into the tank, I used a bunch to scrub the rock of all the crap that builds up over time.

I used 2 10 gallon styro-foam cartons from the LFS to move the corals and fish. I figured it would help keep the heat in better. The night before the big move I drained and cleaned the tank, and put the livestock into the cartons with power heads for circulation. It worked out well, but I don't want to do it again any time soon. I feel sorry for anyone who has to move multiple tanks.

The plumbing will best describe itself with pictures. I'll try to get some soon.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:11 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot View Post
It worked out well, but I don't want to do it again any time soon. I feel sorry for anyone who has to move multiple tanks.
I've done it *once* and.. I think the profound conclusion that day was ... it's only going to be *once*.

Look forward to the new pictures!
Old 12-28-2006, 02:51 PM

Default update

Just an update, I've been wondering if I would get better coloration in my corals with more actinic than my current 14K MH lights provide. So I've ordered a dual HO t-5 retrofit from J&L with Geismann (sp) true actinics. I'll post before and after pics later.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:00 PM

Default update april 27th

Thought I'd post some "before" pictures of a few frags so that I can refer to them a few months or years from now to gauge their progress. Or mine for that matter.

These have started to grow rapidly since getting my T5 HO actinics and new Reeflux 12K 400 watt bulb.

And a recent Full tank shot

And a recent addition:

Unknown colony I bought from Finnadict.

Last edited by danny zubot; 07-11-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:24 PM

04scoobysti is on a distinguished road

Aquascaping Looks great!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:18 PM

Default reply

Just added an auto top up this past weekend. Not sure what brand it is because my buddy just bought an extra one for me when he placed the online order.

Basically its just a float valve to run off of my RODI filter. I drilled a 1/2" hole and plugged it in, works perfectly. No more lifting heavy jugs of water to fill the sump. No more micro bubbles from water crashing through the baffles when my water levels got too low. I'll add a pic of it later for anyone who wants to see it.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:22 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Is it hooked up directly to your RO/DI unit or do you have a reservoir?