Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-17-2007, 06:44 PM

likwid is on a distinguished road
Default Tank not right after Water Change

I noticed my salt levels were extremely low, and it had been a while since I did a water change, so I did a fairly big water change in my 10 gallon tank, about 60% or so. I added a lot of salt to even everything out, and now the salt levels are fine. The next day I noticed my clown fish would not eat at all, which is strange because he is a pig and always eats right away when I feed him. He also just stays in the corner of my tank by the heater and rarely ever leaves from that spot. All the little feather dusters on my live rock seem to be fairly frail and half do not even come out any more. On top of all of this, the hair algae and other green algae that was growing on my live rock are now turning brown. I did a test and all of my levels are perfect. Is this from the sudden change in salinity and the major water change? Is there anything I can do now besides just wait it out? Anything to get my clown fish to eat? Thanks
Old 04-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Sudden changes in salinity are not a good thing. It takes time for animals to adjust to salinity, much like humans need time to adjust to oxygen levels. Basically what you've just done is the equivalent of plunking you on top of Mt. Everest with no extra O2.

Nothing you can really do but ride it out for now. and hope for the best. Fish can usually acclimate fairly easy but you'll just have to give it time. In the future work up your salinity by 0.001-0.015 at a time with several water changes.

What was your salinity pre and post water change?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:58 PM

It went from about 1.015 to 1.021. Anything I can do about all the brown algae as well? I did the big water change on saturday, and the fish has still been acting the same since. It does not eat, and just stays in its corner of the tank. Also, he stays about half way up the tank and always has body angled downwards diagnolly like he's diving, but just stays in the same spot.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Do you test for pH? What was the pH of the tank before and after the change?

It could very well be that the green algae is dying. Manual removal is probably best. However your fish is probably stressed right now and this could add to it.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:27 PM

ed99 is on a distinguished road

Your fish's buoyancy might be off. With the sudden increase in salinity the fish may all of a sudden be lighter and needs to swim downwards just to stay in position.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Do you test for pH? What was the pH of the tank before and after the change?

It could very well be that the green algae is dying. Manual removal is probably best. However your fish is probably stressed right now and this could add to it.
The PH has always been in the 8.4 range. Should I remove the dying algae by hand then, or are you saying removing it will stress the fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed99 View Post
Your fish's buoyancy might be off. With the sudden increase in salinity the fish may all of a sudden be lighter and needs to swim downwards just to stay in position.
Will he even himself out over time then, or is there anything I can do to help? What about feeding, since he doesnt seem to want to eat?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:43 PM

Jaws is on a distinguished road

You could try removing some of the water, not a lot, and adding straight fresh water to try and lower the salinity a little bit again so it's not that drastic of a change. I'm not sure if this is a good idea though since the animals are already trying to adjust to the higher salinity. Maybe someone else can chime in to see if two changes like this is a good idea or not.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 PM

Salmon King is on a distinguished road
Default shock

Fish can go into shock from sudden changes of selinaty or ph.I would do what Jaws said .But don/t change more then 1 gal.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon King View Post
Fish can go into shock from sudden changes of selinaty or ph.I would do what Jaws said .But don/t change more then 1 gal.
Well its been 4 days since the change, so wouldnt it be better to just let them adjust themselves rather than changing the salinity yet again?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:49 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

yeah I'd leave the water alone and hope for the best... you're not supposed to increase your salinity more than 0.001 a day. Fish can sometimes withstand a drop in salinity of like 0.01 points in an 8 hour period, but fish have a hard time with sharp increases.

Any large adjustments, I usually use a drip method from a milk jug siphoned through airline tubing with a few knots in it to make it drip at the speed I desire.

Do you have a skimmer in the tank? If not maybe try an enzyme stress coat for a little while to help against infection while the clownfish's immune system is down from the stress. If you have a nano-skimmer or something, don't use a stress coat though as it'll interfere with the skimming.