Hey all. I would like to get a Urchin. What type would you guys suggest

Corals
Purple Mushrooms, Kenya Trees,
Fish/Inverts
Brittle Starfish,,Long spine Urchin,Snails,Crabs, Snowflake Eel,Coral Beauty,
Old 01-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Depends what you want it to do. I wanted mine to eat algae. I've had both the tuxedo (Mespilia globulus) and a "colored" urchin (Tripneustes sp). The tuxedo cruises around the tank, eats algae here and there. The colored urchin ate coralline and made a mess (plus he grew huge). Eventually I took him into a LFS for credit as he was getting too big and knocking over corals.

The ultimate urchin (of those that are commonly available) is the longspined urchin (Echinothrix diadema/Diadema setosum). While the spines are sharp and somewhat venomous (to some, not so much to others). They certainly are gorgeous.

Also it would be dependent on your tank size as the diadema urchins get kind of big.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:17 PM

TRIX is on a distinguished road

would the spines on the urchins be a problem for softies like the open brain. Would they pearce the tissue.

Corals
Purple Mushrooms, Kenya Trees,
Fish/Inverts
Brittle Starfish,,Long spine Urchin,Snails,Crabs, Snowflake Eel,Coral Beauty,
Old 01-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I doubt it, even though it doesn't seem so, the tissue is pretty tough (well relatively tough anyways). I think the urchin would have to achieve ramming speed which is unlikely I don't know what kind of grip they'd get on a soft coral either.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:05 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

I dunno Christy... those urchins can really motor when they want to.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:02 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

I have a blue tux urchin with softies and LPS (incl. bubble and open brain) for several years with no problems. Granted the blue tux doesn't have the longest or pokiest spines you can find on urchins, but I don't see any issues with any other urchins.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:51 AM

AndyL is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to AndyL

Kept thinking I should grab some pics of my urchins... But lights just went out - maybe tomorow.

Depends what you're looking for - if you want a true algae eating urchin, definitely look at the diadema's. They can be found VERY small at the stores on occasion (under 2" with spines). Mines doing an amazing job in a badly overgrown 3g, he's roughly 1", all the rock was covered in some kinda nasty hair algae - about a month later, it's still roughly 1/3 covered - but definitely getting much better. He's actually quite graceful moving around the tank, ****es off the zoos trampling them - but no permanent damage.

Personaly I'm not fond of the short spined urchins (tuxedo and that other one), more their habit of decorating themselves with corals

I picked up what I think is a Echinometra species (might be E. la****er - rock borer urchin) from howdy last trip to edmonton. Not real usefull for algae control (except coraline) pretty much the typical 'bull in a china shop' type urchin. But he's sure an interesting character in the tank, always fun to see where he is on any particular day, and what he's getting into.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:56 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I don't mind the short spined ones. I have a green urchin that just mows down algae like nuts. I'll have to try to get a pic of it. I supposedly have a blue tuxedo but I haven't seen it in ages. I had one before that was awesome at the red fuzzy beard/stubble type algae. I also have one of the rock boring ones but it just sits in its cave mostly and occasionally ventures out but not too far. I hear it could be a scavenger as well as a herbivore.

Anyhow, they're all pretty neat. Be wary that some of them (the colourful ones) are said to have toxic stings, so do you reading. Best practise is to avoid getting stung if you can anyhow.

Here's a diadema (I just posted these pics in another thread but what the hey)..

Old 01-19-2007, 01:55 AM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

How do you remove them from a tank?

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 01-19-2007, 01:59 AM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
How do you remove them from a tank?
I use those plastic kitchen tongs (the ones you use for salads) Works great.