Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Regional Forums > Alberta > Calgary

Old 09-11-2006, 03:42 PM

andrewsk is on a distinguished road
Default South Calgary Large Tank Tour

After some discussion with Al and Albert we have decided to try and set up a few tours of some of the larger (150+) Reef/Fish tanks in the city.

Albert is going to speak to some of his customers to see if they would be interested in hosting/participating in the tour. )If you are interested in hosting PLEASE let me know ASAP )

So far the plan is to get about 6 or 7 tanks for viewing in the South. (We would do a North one next) so travelling back and forth across town is minimized. We would have a maximum of about 15 people on the tour. (1st dibbs would go to the organizers and those displaying their tanks)

We would spend roughly 30 - 40 minutes at each location and would ask that any fragging or exchanging of items be done after the tour so we can keep things moving.

The first thing we need to do is get the vollunteers displaying their tanks confirmed. We will then begin taking names of those interested in the tour.

So far we are looking at doing this on a weekend afternoon or evening depending on what works best for all. (Albert, I think evenings are better for you)

Anyway, this is just in the initial planning stages, so keep your eyes on this thread for more details as we move forward.

Thanks!

Keith
Old 09-11-2006, 10:10 PM

Snappy is on a distinguished road

Sounds good, count me in to host and participate in the tour.

Greg

Last edited by Snappy; 09-12-2006 at 03:18 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:24 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Way to alienate all of us small reef keepers.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 09-11-2006, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot
Way to alienate all of us small reef keepers.
Basically the reason for doing this was that since most of us Reefers do have tanks < 100 gallons , it would be something different/new to see instead of something nearly the same as their own tanks.

I guess there is a guy with a 1500 gallon tank that Albert knows and I for one would be more interested in seeing that instead of a 50 gallon tank just to see how he handles the scale and see all of the equipment most of us never really get the chance to play with.

I dont think most 50 gallon tanks employ Ozonizers, Dosing Pumps, Giant Skimmers, Zeovit systems, Large Refugiums etc. If they did, that would probably be a great tank to tour as it would be something novel for most of us.

No offense intended to the smaller tanks
Old 09-12-2006, 12:27 AM

Buccaneer is on a distinguished road

I will check with Rico ( perodogo ) to see if he is interested as well ( in case he does not see this post )

He has a 500G FOWLR monster ... awesome tank !!!

“The most important decision you make is to be in a good mood.”
― Voltaire
Old 09-12-2006, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I will check with Rico ( perodogo ) to see if he is interested as well ( in case he does not see this post )

He has a 500G FOWLR monster ... awesome tank !!!

Sounds great. Thanks for checking.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:07 AM

DiscusZ is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DiscusZ

ya Rico's setup is sweet. was out there once swapping a pump with him definately a tank to see.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:38 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Well I guess if you are talking that big it would be worth a look. I'm in if I'm still invited, it would be a chance to get some nice pics.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 09-12-2006, 04:58 PM

kwirky is on a distinguished road

i'd like to come along if there's room, and it doesn't fall on a day where i have class/buttloads of homework. It'd be cool to see some nice setups to let me know where I'd like mine to end up.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:53 PM

surgeonfish is on a distinguished road
Default Interested as well

I am new to the hobby with my system running since Dec 05. I have a 250g tank which is 48" deep that has created some challenges. I live in Lethbridge and don't know of any other reefers here. I would be interested in coming to Calgary to see how some of the local pros run their systems. The invitation is always open for anyone coming to windy Lethbridge to view my tank (I am always open to suggestions or positive criticism).
300 gal starphire custom built in pentagon reef (+90 gal sump on Blue Line 100 HD return pump, 210lb LR, Euro-Reef RC250 skimmer, 2x400W MH, 2x28W compacts, 2xTurbelle classic 4002 pumps & Turbelle Stream 6100 on 7095 Multicontroller, running ZEOvit)

Livestock
Fish: damsels; sailfin, yellow, regal & naso tangs; ocellaris & tomato clowns; lyretail anthias; foxface lo; flame angelfish
corals: a few