Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-17-2004, 07:29 PM

sleeman is on a distinguished road
Default Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?

Well, I had had problems with my sump design from the get go. My overflow brings down tonnes of bubbles, and no matter what I try I can't control them. Anyways, after about 6 months of messing around I finally stuck a ball valve on the overflow and restricted it to a syphon. Can you see where this is going?
I knew that if the power went out I would either overflow the tank or be home to open up the ball valve. Well, I was on night shift last night, got a late call and rolled in at about 11am this morning. From what my wife knows the power went out at about 10 pm and came on at 2 am. I guess the pump came on overflowed the main tank, luckily onto a power bar which then tripped the GFCI. The RO top up then kicked in and refilled the sump. Here is what I came home to. An unkown amount of water overflowed, luckily cherry hardwood is very absorbent . Tank was at 75 degrees and specific gravity dropped from 1.026 to 1.023. All the corals look good, and I have so far lost a Coral Beauty (which I fed to my sebae(hopefully the gigantic marshmallow chokes on it)))and maybe lost a Royal Gramma. When I got to the tank I could see the Regal Tang on it's side but still breathing. Within 1 minute of turning the pump and skimmer on he was up and moving and I now see him poking his head out of the rock.

There are about 4000 flat worms on the front glass as well. Should I be worried about all of them dying? Should I do a water change?

Needless to say, I will be starting to build a new sump this week. The sad part is I have had all the acrylic in the garage for the last 5 months. Once again, caught by procrastination. It could be worse, the GFCI could have not tripped and I would be buying a new Mag 18 as well.

I'll post an updat in 24hrs to see what else has perished.

Does anyone in Edmonton have a table saw with a blade for cutting acrylic?

Cheers,

Al
Old 09-17-2004, 11:00 PM

jess128 is on a distinguished road

Ouch, sounds like a disaster! Well at least you're not going through tornados in Florida... sorry I can't help you out with the worm issue, I'm still too much of a newbie. My Dad has a table saw but I'm not sure if it cuts acrylic. I can ask him for you if you want. Sorry for your losses, that's too bad.
Old 09-17-2004, 11:35 PM

kuatto is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to kuatto

Al
My tablesaw has a 180 tooth blade that will cut acrylic,bring it over and we'll have a go at it.

Jim
Old 09-18-2004, 12:31 AM

Beverly is on a distinguished road

Al,

That was some storm we had last night. We had peas sized hail for quite awhile and rain that made a lake up the street from us. Luckily no power outages here. Sorry to hear about your losses

Beverly's 10g Nano YouTube Channel
Old 09-18-2004, 02:48 AM

Thanks guys and gal. The gramma is alive so the only loss is the coral beauty so far. The sebae looks pretty happy though
Jim, the only day I have available is tomorrow. The problem is I don't have a plan. I will run the overflow wide open and just accept the bubbles in the tank. I go back on shift Sunday morning for 4 days. Maybe wed. or thurs night?

CHeers,

Al
Old 09-18-2004, 03:25 AM

kuatto is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to kuatto

No problem,I'm home most nights,so whenever you want is fine.If you still have that tank,I'll take it also.

Jim
Old 09-18-2004, 04:02 AM

Jim,
I didn't realize you called until now. Was golfing until 8:30. The tank is being used as a QT for the next little bit. I'll let you know when it is done.

AL
Old 09-20-2004, 04:53 PM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

About those bubbles; I use a very course filter sponge in my sump, soo course that it will never clog with waste. It only serves to keep junk out of my pump but I have notices it traps tiny bubbles on it. What happens is that it collect small bubbles that will eventually grow bigger and bigger until they dettach and rise to the surface. Give it some thought, it works for me, and its cheep.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041
Old 09-20-2004, 08:44 PM

Invigor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny zubot
About those bubbles; I use a very course filter sponge in my sump, soo course that it will never clog with waste. It only serves to keep junk out of my pump but I have notices it traps tiny bubbles on it. What happens is that it collect small bubbles that will eventually grow bigger and bigger until they dettach and rise to the surface. Give it some thought, it works for me, and its cheep.
filterfloss works great too for bubble reduction, but needs regular replacing.