Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-12-2009, 04:15 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough
Default Help, What would you do?

It has been 7 weeks (today, since getting marine velvet) that my tanks have sat fish free. Most sites say 6-8 weeks and it should be fine to add fish again. I was planing on waiting until next week but my checkerboard wrasse might not last that long Basically (I think it's him or it's my king angel) my lunare wrasse (who I think already killed my red corris wrasse) has been majorly beating up my checkerboard wrasse. His tail fin is looking like a nub that he can barely move, both side fins are badly nipped up to the point where he's not really using one of them. While ideally I'd like to wait the 8 weeks, I'm really worried that my checkerboard wont make it.

So what would you do? Separate the fish back into the displays a week early? or wait it out one more week and hope the checkerboard makes it?
Old 06-12-2009, 04:28 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

If it were me, I'd put the checkerboard in as the one fish in the tank. I know it sounds mean but, well if the velvet isn't gone you'll know, and if it is gone, your checkerboard will have some time to heal up and de-stress before you put the other fish in the tank?

I hope this doesn't sound too brutal but it makes sense to me if its not going to fare well as it is

Alternatively, I guess that may leave you with a checkerboard wrasse that dies of marine velvet and then you have to wait another 8 weeks. Although I would imagine that if you're that close to 8 weeks you're likely safe.

Ugh, I haven't helped at all have I?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:32 AM

subman is on a distinguished road

I agree pick one fish as a tester, and the checker board sounds like the perfect candidate.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:33 AM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Christy's right. It's the only logical move. The checkerboard needs to be rehomed. Even if you knew the attacker, and moved him, the checkerboard would still be stressing with the other fish around. Atleast this way, he gets the best possible chance. I'm willing to bet the MV is gone as well

Umm, a tank or 5
Old 06-12-2009, 04:42 AM

findingnemo1 is on a distinguished road

We'll i am a little biased as it was my checkerboard and i so miss him
BUT i dunno i would be scared either way. Thats a toss up!!
So most say 6-8...I have never experienced velvet so i would say wait and hope. But nothing worse than seeing a fish die either.
Althouh he never showed symptoms at all did he? If not i would actually put him back in and leave the others..

Just a thought...Probably didn't help much im sorry!!!

Old 06-12-2009, 04:50 AM

Keri is on a distinguished road

I don't think I would put the checkerboard in actually, if he's all beat to snot allready I bet his immune system is hooped and you're just asking for him to pick up something if there is any chance it's still present.

I would wait the 8 weeks, can you put him in a kritter keeper in the QT tank or block off a section with egg crate so he's protected?

(Just my opinion, sometimes I'm overly cautious)
Old 06-12-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
If it were me, I'd put the checkerboard in as the one fish in the tank. I know it sounds mean but, well if the velvet isn't gone you'll know, and if it is gone, your checkerboard will have some time to heal up and de-stress before you put the other fish in the tank?

I hope this doesn't sound too brutal but it makes sense to me if its not going to fare well as it is

Alternatively, I guess that may leave you with a checkerboard wrasse that dies of marine velvet and then you have to wait another 8 weeks. Although I would imagine that if you're that close to 8 weeks you're likely safe.

Ugh, I haven't helped at all have I?
This is exactly what we've been thinking, and going around in circles on, the problem is two things 1) it would really suck to wait another 8 weeks, although I'd bet that the velvet is gone, & 2) the checkerboard wrasse was one of the only fish that never showed any signs of the velvet disease in the first place, so not sure (as my other wrasses seemed disease free as well) but maybe wrasses have some sort of immunity or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditpowdercoat View Post
Christy's right. It's the only logical move. The checkerboard needs to be rehomed. Even if you knew the attacker, and moved him, the checkerboard would still be stressing with the other fish around. Atleast this way, he gets the best possible chance. I'm willing to bet the MV is gone as well
This is what I'm thinking. We plan on doing a water change tonight and then we're thinking of moving the checkerboard tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keri View Post
I don't think I would put the checkerboard in actually, if he's all beat to snot allready I bet his immune system is hooped and you're just asking for him to pick up something if there is any chance it's still present.

I would wait the 8 weeks, can you put him in a kritter keeper in the QT tank or block off a section with egg crate so he's protected?

(Just my opinion, sometimes I'm overly cautious)
The egg crate was a thought we had but I'm sure my king angel or sohal tang would find a way to ram it and knock it down.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingnemo1 View Post
We'll i am a little biased as it was my checkerboard and i so miss him
BUT i dunno i would be scared either way. Thats a toss up!!
So most say 6-8...I have never experienced velvet so i would say wait and hope. But nothing worse than seeing a fish die either.
Althouh he never showed symptoms at all did he? If not i would actually put him back in and leave the others..

Just a thought...Probably didn't help much im sorry!!!
I was hoping you would say something, and you're right, he never showed any signs of velvet in the first place. Which is why I'm leaning more towards putting him in the display, plus I know he's missing his sand bed to sleep in.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:58 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

i say move him first, if some of the other fish are showing aggression it will just continue if they are back in the display first and decide they like being the boss,probably a smaller chance of problems if the checkerboard is already in the display when the more aggressive fish return.