Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-10-2009, 01:01 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road
Default Don't make changes during a heat wave!

My SPS appear to have taken a big hit from the recent heat wave a few weeks ago, but it hasn't really shown up until now. I think it is a combination of a temperature spike into the mid to upper 80s during the wave when I wasn't around for a couple of days and my decision to do some rock/flow re-arranging and play with my photoperiod at about the same time.

Everything has been slowly either browning out or bleaching/STNing including my massive blue mille colony that's almost a foot and half across. Even the lousy green digitata is looking kinda sorry.

I was in the process of switching away from SPS anyway, but this appears to have accelerated that. Everything else in the tank - LPS, softies, zoas, clams - came through no problem.

Some of the stuff will hopefully come back over time, but it looks like I'll be having an SPS fire sale at the frag swap. (sigh)
Old 08-10-2009, 02:23 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Aww that sucks Franklin. Its funny actually what affects SPS corals and what doesn't. I had a pink pocillipora STN on me over the course of about 5 days. I managed to save (albeit I have no idea what I did) a very tiny portion of it and it came back. Then after moving I had huge problems with high ammonia and lost a ton of SPS. Oddly enough, the pocillipora pulled through with no problems, and my LPS were happy throughout the whole ordeal and I've never seen them so "poofy" ever!

SPS are weird. Of course that doesn't stop me from repeatedly attempting to keep them

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 AM

Navarchus is on a distinguished road

I found out that the two major water parameters that are very important but somewhat neglected by enthusiasts are temperature and salinity.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:24 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear this Franklin. Hopefuly they will make a come back.
So many tank troubles this summer it seems. I've had some bleaching of a few SPS myself and I can't figure out why. Heat hasn't really been an issue as i have A/C.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:43 AM

Jason McK is on a distinguished road

Oh No Franklin Hope everything recovers

J
Old 08-10-2009, 04:41 AM

ElGuappo is on a distinguished road

ya i lost a crhistmas tree milli frag, unknown Acro purple w/ green holes Colony (just some tips made it thru, i am hoping it will make it thru. i have placed a small chunk of frag disc sittig on the remaining live tips with hopes it encrusts and i can start anew. ), and another acro frag i cant remember the name of. and yes my orange digi shows no sign of anything.

we only had like 10 hot days in calgary but i was ill prepared as i am sure others were. plus the tanks i lost coral in are upstairs, and its a freakin sauna up there. ( not to self start saving for a AC unit NOW)
72 Gallon Bowfront Reef.. Hardware:2x250w Luminex Elite HQI Reflectors (Phoenix Hexarc Bulbs), Galaxy 2x250w Electronic ballast, Euroreef 130 Skimmer, Sedra KSP 7000 Retern... Live Stock: Pair of Hawaiian Flame Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse, Pair True Percula Clowns, Potters Angel, African Flameback Angel, Orange Fin Tomini Tang, Yellow Assessor, Tailspot Blenny, Purple Firefish..

45 G FW Asain Barb Community tank.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:26 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road
Default Go

I thought the heat killed my gsp but it is growing back now.
________
Vapir Oxygen

Last edited by Coleus; 04-30-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:19 AM

Snaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleus View Post
I thought the heat killed my gsp but it is growing back now.
The heat of a million suns could not kill GSP.