Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 PM

HarleyC is on a distinguished road
Default Tunze osmolator or apex?

Hi,
I just purchased the osmolator from J&L. But, was reading up on the apex controller. It appears to have ATO sensors. So, for another $150 I could get so much more - correct,, or would I be better keeping the osmolator? It is still in box, so I could change.
Thanks,
Old 04-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I'm not aware of any ATO feature out of the box with Apex.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 PM

Think I may have read wrong. I was looking at some info that described using ATO with Apex and thought it came with float switches.
Still, would I be better going Apex and adding float switches, or sticking with the Tunze?
Thanks
Old 04-10-2013, 10:54 PM

ultreef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyC View Post
Think I may have read wrong. I was looking at some info that described using ATO with Apex and thought it came with float switches.
Still, would I be better going Apex and adding float switches, or sticking with the Tunze?
Thanks
The premium version with the optical sensor is the best. If that's what you got then nothing else compare.

But if you got the cheaper float switch version, then I would go Apex. Just add couple float switch and breakout box and you got yourself an ato.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

For the apex you would need to buy the breakout box which is about $40 iirc , and then a float switch or two and then a small pump (toms aqua lifter ) $15
Old 04-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Jedi Master Reefer

Wheelman76 is on a distinguished road

Ultreef types faster than me lol
Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 PM

Thanks. I do have the premium version with optical sensor, so I guess I will keep.
Cheers
Old 04-10-2013, 11:14 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I run the Tunze osmolator and an Apex and don't really have any plans to take the Tunze offline. It does its job fine. To me I think what I would consider is, how much do you like to tinker? If tinkering and DIY is your thing, go with the float switches and make your own breakout box for the Apex and have fun. If tinkering is not your thing then price out each option and go with whatever looks better to you.

One thought, the Tunze osmolator outputs 12vdc to run a 12vdc pump. These pumps aren't 100% bulletproof. But on the flipside, they're cheap ($25ish if I recall). So if the pump fails then you can replace it for cheap but you can only replace it with another 12vdc pump.

If you would prefer to use a powerhead then you need a relay. You can either buy the Tunze relay (they do sell a version, around $75ish I think) or DIY something (I went to an electrical/electronic supplier and bought some relays, you have to mount it yourself in some fashion but you'll probably be able to do something in the $10 ballpark). So again comes down to your love of tinkering (or not )

But if you want to go powerhead from the get-go then maybe float switches and the Apex from the start might be the way to go. So long as you're OK with playing around a bit to get it all done.

(For now I just stay with my DIY relay option and don't have to use up a controlled plug on my Apex powerbar. The Tunze is fine enough.)
Old 04-10-2013, 11:18 PM

Tks. I do like to tinker and have an electronics background. But, time is my issue. May look at the relay down the road. Will hook up the tunze for now though - when I get 5 minutes
Old 04-11-2013, 01:05 AM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

for tunze, make sure you don't let the pump run dry for couple days, this is not a problem with toms aqua lifter with apex. Sometimes, i just forgot to fill ATO reservoir for days :-)