Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 PM

chef is on a distinguished road
Default #@%^() angelfish

I once had a beautifull mixed reef with polyps everywhere and a fantastic harmonized balance. Just added a queen angel, changed the whole chemistry of the reef. I hope she settles down
Old 03-04-2013, 03:16 PM
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸. ><(((º>

kien will become famous soon enoughkien will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
I once had a beautifull mixed reef with polyps everywhere and a fantastic harmonized balance. Just added a queen angel, changed the whole chemistry of the reef. I hope she settles down
The larger angelfish are not generally reef safe. You may get lucky and she may settle down but unfortunately the odds are against you. I recently had to rehome a queen that started out fine, then took a liking to zoas, then my chalices, acans, open brains, lobo.. It was just a matter of time before she took out my clams and SPS.. :-(

Anyway, good luck! They are beautiful fish and I would start a FOWLR (again) just to house large angels.. Maybe one day.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

I've had 2 queens, one was a model citizen, the other ate absolutely everything. Anytime you add a large angel, you need to be prepared to remove it. My Emperor is still fine, hope he stays that way.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I've had 2 queens, one was a model citizen, the other ate absolutely everything. Anytime you add a large angel, you need to be prepared to remove it. My Emperor is still fine, hope he stays that way.
makes sense brad. and thank you kien.I've got some really nice zoas and a dendro that she is leaving alone. Pretty much everything else is retracted and ****ed off. I'll give it a coupla days to adjust, if things don't change she will b in the 'fs' category
Old 03-04-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
my last emperor didn't touch any of my corals but loved my clams.. stupid fish..
Old 03-04-2013, 04:18 PM

Default %$#@% angel

watching it nip and wondering when to pull the plug.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
watching it nip and wondering when to pull the plug.
In my experience I've found that they tend to start out more cautious and so tend not to eat everything. This will lull you into a false sense of security for a while as they eventually start to get more adventurous with their diet at which point it all starts to go down hill.. Once they have realized that something can be eaten and it tastes pretty good they won't stop.

If your angel is already sampling stuff right out of the gates, well, then you're probably already hooped. I've never known an angel to decide later that they no longer like the taste of corals.

The irony is that when you read about them online most of what you'll read suggest that they primarily eat sponges in the wild. I have all sorts of sponges but my angels never touched a single one of them LOL. My theory on this is that when you put an angel like the Queen into your tank you are exposing it to a lot of things that they wouldn't normally be exposed to in the Carribean. This is perfectly fine by them though as they are more than happy to gobble up these fine morsels.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kien View Post
If your angel is already sampling stuff right out of the gates, well, then you're probably already hooped. I've never known an angel to decide later that they no longer like the taste of corals.
Agreed. It won't slow down
Old 03-04-2013, 05:17 PM

Coleus is on a distinguished road

well at least she is not jumper like mine :-(, she can eat all my corals in my tank and I would not care
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM

Default queeny

what a drag. sexiest fish i have had in my reef. caught her and she has to go. Live and learn