Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 10-06-2003, 05:02 PM

TANGOMAN is on a distinguished road
Default Hobby essentials...

I rarely have much wisdom to share but but when y'all need someone to laugh at, I like to do my part.
This morning I began to tackle the project of installing an additional electrical circuit in the basement "laboratory". The tanks down there are sharing a circuit with the upstairs living room and there are a couple of tanks,t.v, stereo, lights etc. and I feared it was just too much. So I flipped the main breaker and tied in my new circuit. With the power back on I figured I should do the "walk-about" and ensure all pumps were runnin'. As I began to walk up the stairs I suddenly remembered an earlier project I had been putting off because it was time consuminig...cleaning a check valve. My sump on the 60g cannot handle the back flow so I installed one of those evil things until I got around to upgrading the sump.(I've been puttin' that off for five years.) Well, the check valve failed, flooded the sump and spilled into the cabinet. Fortunately the cabinet base has a sealed holding capacity of about ten gallons. I guess we've done our water change... It was also a good time to remove the check valve and give it a vinegar bath.
Thank god for Shop-Vacs !
Maybe next week I'll tell ya' abaout the basement flood when I left the transfer pump runnin' while I had supper. I store fresh water in a garbage can and transfer it to the salt water can. Fortunately I had just done water changes so I was transfering lot's 'o water... 20+ gallons covers a lot of concrete eh ? I've been puttin' off, hmmm, there's that word again, installing an overflow drain on that pail because this has happened before. . Like I said earlier, thank god for Shop-Vacs.
And that my friends is the story hobby essentials. The Shop Vac.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:01 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road

When we set up Jon's 230 gal, we had to call Katie to ask her to pick one up.

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 10-06-2003, 06:17 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Luckily I have carpeting to soak it all up. Who needs a shop vac??

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:09 PM

Jack is on a distinguished road

I don't know how many times I've flooded my room