Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-27-2009, 11:56 PM

Aleks is on a distinguished road
Default Allow myself to introduce.....myself

Hey all, just joined this forum, checked it out a few years ago when I was doing FW stuff.....Sold all of it, and now just getting into starting a Nano reef! Lots of questions, lots of info.....Hoping to pick your brains and snag some used gear Here's the hardware thus far

10g standard (20") tank
Fluval 204 (primarily for circ, maybe a tray or 2 of filter)....I know its a little less than ideal, 180gph
standard heater....letters worn off, but used it in my 45 so should be adequate

Soooo, I need a light....was thinking Coralife 36w 20".....Maybe go to a 24" because I may decide to goto a 20g tank instead.....but I can cycle my rock and stuff in the 10 and decide from there....Anyone want to sell a light? or tank? haha

Lastly, this tank will house a bunch of low maintenance coral, mushroom, a few crabs (thinkin pom pom), shrimp, snails and for swimmers a clown (how original!) and likely a boxfish.....very minimalist....

thoughts? suggestions? got stuff to get rid of (including rock/sand)? let me know!

Hoping as I get more knowledgeable I can help out some too.....
Old 04-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Canreef!!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:37 AM

Lance is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Canreef
Old 04-28-2009, 01:01 AM

Rbacchiega is on a distinguished road

welcome to Canreef...have you stopped by Red Coral at all?
I've got so much glue on my pants it looks like a Friday night gone horribly wrong.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:15 AM

Alright! So went to a 15gallon instead, wanted a bit more flexibility.......So got it, 15lbs of Live rock from Wai's, about 25lbs or so of live sand, and decided to pick up a new heater, 100W should be plenty. Mixed up my water, used RO.....Got my salinity around 1.021ish.....Waiting for the sand clouds to clear to do my first chem test.....Will be interesting, this packet of bacteria that came with the sand says I can start adding inverts when the water is clear......Not so sure about that, so I'll see what the tester says about that time! At any rate, I can't wait to start adding the cleaners to start things off and just drop feed them for a bit....My Fluval whips quite a bit of water around so I think the circ should be ok as it is for now.......

Question: How do most of you aerate/oxygenate your tank?? Just keep some ripples on the top surface? I don't want to introduce air because air=noise...And I'm not into noise...

Checked out the following today.....Big Al's, Red Coral, Wai's, Riverfront......Crazy Big Al's wanted 10.99/lb for rock!! ouch!

Still need a light, and maybe some wildlife eventually for the rock
Old 04-29-2009, 01:34 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Hey all, just joined this forum, checked it out a few years ago when I was doing FW stuff.....Sold all of it, and now just getting into starting a Nano reef! Lots of questions, lots of info.....Hoping to pick your brains and snag some used gear Here's the hardware thus far

10g standard (20") tank
Fluval 204 (primarily for circ, maybe a tray or 2 of filter)....I know its a little less than ideal, 180gph
standard heater....letters worn off, but used it in my 45 so should be adequate

Soooo, I need a light....was thinking Coralife 36w 20".....Maybe go to a 24" because I may decide to goto a 20g tank instead.....but I can cycle my rock and stuff in the 10 and decide from there....Anyone want to sell a light? or tank? haha

Lastly, this tank will house a bunch of low maintenance coral, mushroom, a few crabs (thinkin pom pom), shrimp, snails and for swimmers a clown (how original!) and likely a boxfish.....very minimalist....

thoughts? suggestions? got stuff to get rid of (including rock/sand)? let me know!

Hoping as I get more knowledgeable I can help out some too.....
sounds like a good start. one thing i have to say unfortunately is that their really isn't any boxfish that would bot outgrow your tank.(at least that i know of)

take a look at the Hagen GLO 24 inch T5HO fixtures. We sell them at elite aquatics and they are awesome quality! i'm using one for the reef im currently building actually, and i love it so far.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karazy View Post
sounds like a good start. one thing i have to say unfortunately is that their really isn't any boxfish that would bot outgrow your tank.(at least that i know of)

take a look at the Hagen GLO 24 inch T5HO fixtures. We sell them at elite aquatics and they are awesome quality! i'm using one for the reef im currently building actually, and i love it so far.
AHHHH, my noobism kicks in early.....I actually meant COWFISH....haha, yah they are a bit different hey? Thanks for the light suggestion I'll check it out! Anywhere other than Elite selling it?? I hate going down south just to "check stuff out"....Happen to have a pic of the Hagen you have setup? Is it 2 flourescents, or PC? Come with an actinic?

Last edited by Aleks; 04-29-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:26 AM

VFX is on a distinguished road

Last edited by VFX; 05-19-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:30 AM

karazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
AHHHH, my noobism kicks in early.....I actually meant COWFISH....haha, yah they are a bit different hey? Thanks for the light suggestion I'll check it out! Anywhere other than Elite selling it?? I hate going down south just to "check stuff out"....Happen to have a pic of the Hagen you have setup? Is it 2 flourescents, or PC? Come with an actinic?
cowfish and boxfish are very closely related, and sadly there's also no cowfish i can think of thats good for a 15 gallon or a beginner.

the lights are double fluorescent, 48 watts of T5HO and you can use any T5 color bulbs you want(10,000k,14,000k,fiji purple, ect.)
i do have a few pics, and i think riverfront may sell it as well. here's a link to them online: http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/glo/index.cfm

here's some older pics of mine (on a 30 inch tank):

Old 04-29-2009, 06:17 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Welcome