Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-08-2008, 04:16 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone using/used Aquacraft salt?

good/bad/not worth the price/etc?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

I am a dedicated user of Aquacraft salts. I live in the Okanagan and since there are only 2 stores in Canada that sell it, I have to ship it from Edmonton (Aquarium Illusions).

I currently use the Biosea version (1 step below Marine Environment Salt) because I don't have the facilities to mix the two part Marine Environment properly given how much salt I go through.

I used to use IO, but it was total crap. I had nothing but problems with it and I always hated the fact that there was dirt (like sand) at the bottom of my mixing barrel whenever I used it.

I then tried Reef Crystals but I was wanting to switch over to more SPS corals and I found that I needed to dose more additional things when I used this.

Using the Biosea, I get great CA right out of the gate (around 430) and my Alk and Mag are both good as well. I still have a lot of softies, but my tank is the healthiest it's ever been and even with the addition of a dozen SPS frags and a few larger pieces...I don't dose CA yet.

When I look at the various salt studies out there, Aquacraft salt always does very well, even on the studies that I question their testing methods on. The S-15 report goes so far as to suggest that Aquacraft completely dominates the rest.

I belong to a forum in the US called Reefaquariumguide.com and by far most of their members are dedicated Aquacraft users. Some breathtaking tanks on their site.

There you have my 2 cents.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:09 AM
Staff

Thanks for the info!

Actually I was under the impression that Aquacraft paid for the S-15 report but no matter.

I haven't been able to find any chemical info on this salt and I guess there is a guy on RC right now who is doing some informal testing of his own and wasn't able to get any salt from Aquacraft (although it did sound like he did get a bit of a headache from them). I've heard that a lot of public aquariums use their salt as well.

Anyway, I have the opportunity to try a box and thought I'd see what others think. I guess if there are only 2 places in Canada to get it then there won't be many responses

I'll check out RAG, thanks again!

EDIT: when did RAG go pay-per-view. nuts.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.

Last edited by christyf5; 08-08-2008 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

What??? pay-per-view...I didn't know that. I am a subscriber so maybe I didn't see the change. I will look further into it and get back to you.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Staff

Its ok, I figured it out. I can see everything when I'm not signed in. If I sign in it tells me I need a membership to access any of the threads. I just signed out and its fine now. The last time I visited that site was 2006 and I guess they've changed stuff since then.

My 180 Build

Old 08-08-2008, 03:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post

EDIT: when did RAG go pay-per-view. nuts.
I just checked from a computer where I wasn't auto-logged in and it let me see the forums. When I searched, it wanted me to register, but registration was free and didn't want dough.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Oh, you were a previous member. I had heard that they limited people who registered previously but didn't really come back.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:01 PM

xtreme is on a distinguished road

Where is the second store that carries it?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Gold Member

Some store in Montreal...not sure which one.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:16 AM

nikon187 is on a distinguished road

bio sea is great salt. Switched from IO and my tank has never looked better
Old 08-09-2008, 06:35 PM

sharuq1 is on a distinguished road

I tried out the bio sea and wasn't impressed considering the price. I don't remember the specs but the alk and Ca were both not what I get from my usual salt, there was a lot of precipitate and it looked "dirty" when mixed. Granted it could have been a bad batch, but after that I just did not feel like trying another bag of the stuff. I've seen the "report" (it was shown to me by a disreputable vendor not associated with canreef vendors so that may invalidate my opinion ) and I would have to say that IMO it did look like it had been paid for considering where they rated some of the better salts (theirs right on top, of course).

Last edited by sharuq1; 08-09-2008 at 06:51 PM.