Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-28-2008, 11:25 PM

mastergunsg is on a distinguished road
Default Help with silicone on new (to me) tank.

I am wondering what the standard width for a silicone bead should be on a 12mm glass tank. I'm talking about the bonding joint not the sealing.I have read allot of forums and manufactures recommendation sheets and have come up with everything from 5mm to 12mm. I'm also looking into taking all the trim off and going with euro bracing, if i take the trim off the bottom of the tank would it cause any foreseeable problems putting the same size euro bracing along the bottom as well, Just to make sure the tank will never have a blowout? I am the type that would rather go overboard with the safety factor then to take a chance on something failing in the future.

Currently building a 36x36x24 90g,sequence dart,OM 4 way 2' in 1 1/2 out external overflow,blueline overflow return pump. System Has to be near silent. Single reflector must be rectangular and have enough output for sps on top 2/3 of tank,wherever they are placed.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:34 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

The bead on the inside is esthetic only, and helps to keep stuff like algae out of the corners. The structural silicone is the stuff between the panes where they meet. So, pick a size. You can always go to the LFS and look at tanks the same size as yours and see what they use.

PS You're stuffing 130lbs of LR into that 72 bow? Holy wowzers!

SPS fanatic.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:43 AM

mastergunsg is on a distinguished road

I have put about 50lbs in since i bought the 72 and the guy i got it from claimed to have around 70 in it already....when i transfer the rock to the new tank im going to check and see how much i actualy have.

Currently building a 36x36x24 90g,sequence dart,OM 4 way 2' in 1 1/2 out external overflow,blueline overflow return pump. System Has to be near silent. Single reflector must be rectangular and have enough output for sps on top 2/3 of tank,wherever they are placed.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:58 AM

danny zubot is on a distinguished road
Default reply

Sorry I can't help with the silicone bonding question, but I've always gotten good advice from the guys at Bow Valley aquarium. They build them, they should know best.

As far as eurobracing the bottom of the tank, I wouldn't bother. The tank's bottom is good enough.
55 gallon cube - 50 lbs LR - ASM G3 skimmer - 30 Gallon sump - 22 Gallon refugium / frag tank - 4x 24 watt HO T5's - Mag 9.5 return - Pin Point PH monitor - 400 watt XM 20K MH in Lumenarc reflector - Dual stage GFO/NO3 media reactor - 6 stage RODI auto top up -Wavemaster Pro running 3 Koralia 2's.

Fully stocked with fish, corals and usually some fine scotch
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55041