Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-15-2007, 08:23 PM

michika is on a distinguished road
Default 30g Nano Cube

Since I'm moving in the near future, and can't take my 230g with me, I'm setting up a nano so I can get my fix.

I picked up a cute little 18"x18"x18" cube from Outtafocus. As soon as it got here I set it up with freshwater so I could see it in action.

The tank came with the stand, sump, Coralife skimmer, an ebo jager heater, a SCWD, and a mag 7 return pump. It arrived fully plumbed, and ready to be set up.

After letting it run for a couple of hours I decided that I would need a different flow pattern, and possibly more flow. I intend to keep the tank full of SPS, clams, and limited livestock. That being said some changes were made.

First I changed the standpipe. I opted to go for a gurgle buster design. This was the original:
This is the new standpipe:

After that I changed the drain pipe to maximize sump space. It went from this:
to this:

I also changed the return plumbing. So far this was the biggest change I made. I started by drilling the tank and adding in bulkheads. Through some clever plumbing, thanks to KrazyKuch, I now have two 90s pointing down to the bottom. Later they will hold two spray bars which, I hope, will alternate flow from top to bottom of the tank.

The returns before:

New returns, still on the SCWD:

Overall from the back the return plumbing looks like this:

Yesterday I was the recipient of some practically free, 'cause it didn't cost me anything, lights. This a 10k mogul 175w MH that came from Ed Holland. It even came in a lovely reflector ready to go into my hood, whenever I get around to it.

So far I have made numerous trips to the hardware store, and will probably be making a bunch more. I made two useless ones because my new puppy has learned how to use chairs to get onto tables.

She chewed up the first 90, so I went back to the store. When I got back, I found she chewed the second one, which resulted in a third trip. Nothing is tall enough when your dog understands how to use chairs...

Remaining things to do before adding actual salt water and life to my tank:
- add in a refugium to the sump
- refugium lighting
- hood to hold display tank lighting; 1xMH, 2x PCs, and moonlights
- add in spray bars
- repaint the blue on the back of the tank

So that is my tank in a nutshell so far. I hope to have it up and running by May 1st.

Last edited by michika; 04-15-2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: typos
Old 04-15-2007, 08:43 PM

Ruth is on a distinguished road

Hey good work Catherine. I take it you are moving into a smaller place but too bad you couldn't take your 230g with you.
I love cube tanks. I have a 110g cube and it is my most successful tank by far. I have a 300g cube out in the shed that I hope to set up one day. The only things I really need for it are a stand, pumps and a light hood to hold my lights...... oh and room.
I bet you are going to be really happy with your cube - keep us up to date.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:51 PM

I'm actually moving into residence to finish up my last term of school. The 230g and all my bigger fish are going with KrazyKuch to our new house.

I love this tank already. Its different then the standard rectangular tanks I'm used to, but different in a good way. I kind of just want it to be move in date so I can officially set this system up in its and my new home for the next 9 months.

A 300g cube sounds so awesome!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:05 PM

marcingo is on a distinguished road

Im actually setting up an oceanic 30 gal cube. However the lights that came with it I think may be much to strong (1 400 watt mogul MH) Im just wondering what you are using or planning to use on yours?
Old 04-15-2007, 10:50 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Wow thats a fantastic looking setup. Its so clean looking

Can't wait to see it filled with livestock

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:19 PM

rigger11 is on a distinguished road

Yesterday I was the recipient of some practically free, 'cause it didn't cost me anything, lights. This a 10k mogul 175w MH that came from Ed Holland. It even came in a lovely reflector ready to go into my hood, whenever I get around to it.

Right here
Old 04-15-2007, 11:45 PM

Thank you!

I'm excited for the day I'll be able to add in livestock. I'm thinking of doing both nano only fish, and maybe some fish that I eventually want to grow into going to the 230g.

Marcingo, I'm going with 175w for now. If I find I need to upgrade to a 250w its just a matter of switching out the ballast. I personally have never run anything but 400w so I'll let you know how it goes! I plan to suppliment with PCs, probably 2x13" bulbs, and I want to try out this moonlight thing too.

My original lighting plan was to do a 20,000k MH bulb, 2x white PCs, and then moonlights. Visually I like it when the lights are more on the blue side of things. With a 10K bulb I'll probably just use actinics instead of white PCs, or a 50/50s to get the blue color I'm looking for.

I'm so hooked on setting up a new tank that I'm going to finish off the spray bars tonight and then put some dry rock in to test out the flow. Setting up a new tank is like getting addicted all over again!

Last edited by michika; 04-16-2007 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Forgot to answer the whole question.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:35 AM

DocReefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to DocReefer
Default Looking good

I am just about to set up my large tank (90 gal) and I think the most fun is getting things/stuff/toys together. This will likely happen when school is out for me in 2 weeks. I will post some pics when I get around to it.

So are we going to see this cube and your new house in a future reef meet? I hope you have enough room for a large tank in your new place.

Good luck on completing school.

Laurence
Old 04-16-2007, 02:03 PM

I'm thinking I will probably have one last reef meet in our old house over the summer, after exams of course. Then maybe one in the new house, but we'll have to see since I haven't even started house hunting yet!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:26 PM

outtafocus is on a distinguished road

Wow, you have made some nice changes to that tank.

When I had originally set it up, I too was using a gurgle buster but I could not get it to stop "flushing". Looks like you may have solved my problem.
I bet that tank is super quiet now.

I cant wait to see this tank develope.

I miss it already.