Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-24-2006, 06:01 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road
Default Anti-Social Bicolour Blenny.

I got a bicolour blenny on Monday evening, and I haven't seen him since.

He sleeps out front, so I know he's alive and well, but he won't come out front. He doesn't seem interested in food right now either.

Does this seem unusual for a blenny? Others I have kept have been very social and active (ie: always in the front, visible.. making me laugh )

Could very well still be adjusting to his new home, but sheesh... I figured he'd at least show his face every now and then.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:41 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't worry about it, he'll show his face to everyone eventually, then he'll get his face right in everyone elses face. Make sure you don't have any smaller gobies in the tank. Bicolor blennies get pretty territorial as they get older.

For the most part they do get a bit skittish if you roar up to the tank. Likely he's probably looking right at you as you stand in front of the tank looking for him. They're pretty good at blending in.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:09 PM

MDG3 is on a distinguished road

Mine took 2 days to get use to the new surroudings.
90 gal. FOWLR, 25 gal. Sump/Refugium with Chaeto Macro, 60lbs. Live Rock, Q.O. 6000 Return Pump, Wavysea Wavemaker, Aqua C Urchin Skimmer, 2-VHO (1-super actinic blue, 1- actinic white), Icecap 660 Ballast, Auto Top Off System, 2 Clownfish, 1 Brittle Star, 20 Hermit Crabs, 7 Small Mushroom Frags (attempting a mixed reef).
Old 11-25-2006, 12:22 AM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Mine is fairly outgoing...always going out for food and stuff...but most of the time perching on the rocks to wait for you to stick your hand in the tank so he can bite you! He is a nasty fellow!

Old 12-01-2006, 05:08 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies all.

I figured time would solve this issue, but he's still very shy. I am starting to get worried that he's going to starve. I have fed the tank every second day and he doesn't show his face at all. I know where he is, and where he likes to hide out... and I suppose that's fine if he chooses to hide all the time. I just want him to eat some food!

Seems really odd, as every other bi-colour blenny I've owned has been such a great fish, extremely social and active. I suppose they can't all be the same.

I do have a larger Yellow Watchman Goby in the tank, would he be hiding from him? I haven't seen any agression towards the blenny at all, though.

Thanks again to all.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:26 PM

JSTR is on a distinguished road

Hey Scott,

That blennie is use to YWG, he lived with two of them in my tank. Was always a little shy but one could always find him and he would come out and sit in the open, then dart away at movements outside the tank. Always had the little eating marked on the glass in the film there for it aswell.
Give him some time to adjust, but if the problems persist, give me a call we can work something out.