Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 08-10-2006, 05:54 PM

GrimReefer is on a distinguished road
Default How to treat algae-covered LR?

I recently aquired about 40 lbs of LR covered in dark green algae. I'm keeping it in a dark bucket with a powerhead. Is this an appropriate way of dealing with it? How long before most of it has died of and I can scrub it?
Old 08-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

IMO, I'd scrub the rock and get some of it off before you put it in the dark. Gives it a bit of a head start. Don't forget to put a heater in the bucket to keep the good bacteria happy It will probably be about 4-6 weeks before you see the algae dropping off/gone, depending on how much there was on there to begin with.

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:36 PM

andrewsk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5
IMO, I'd scrub the rock and get some of it off before you put it in the dark. Gives it a bit of a head start. Don't forget to put a heater in the bucket to keep the good bacteria happy It will probably be about 4-6 weeks before you see the algae dropping off/gone, depending on how much there was on there to begin with.
Sounds about right The only other thing I would add is that you should change the water at least weekly.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:49 PM

DanG is on a distinguished road

Would you need to change it completly? What about buffering for alk and ca?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:42 PM

Werbo is on a distinguished road

have the powerhead pointed up to agitate and airate the water to increase oxygenation
Old 08-11-2006, 01:53 AM

andrewsk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG
Would you need to change it completly? What about buffering for alk and ca?
I would do a 100% change weekly using my standard water for changes. I cannot see why you would need to add Ca or anything else. There is nothing in there that needs/uses it. Plus most Salt has enough balance by itself for this purpose.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:30 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Personally I would not do weekly water changes.. waist of money. Let it go for about a month then take the rock out into a different container of new water. then as crap accumulates on the bottom do it again.. every 2 weeks to 1 month type idea.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:12 PM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

Before I amalgamated my livestock between my 2 tanks my 72g had hair algae to beat the band... and I mean it was getting to be a green forest! I removed the rock from my 72 and used a rubbermaid as a scrubbing container. I scrubbed all the algae off with a toothbrush and shook the rock around suspended in water. The detritus that got knocked out was unreal! I also used a powerhead to blow all the detritus out of the deep holes. I did this until I could get no more out of each rock - this can take some doing. It was amazing how PURPLE the rock underneath was... anyways, when I was finished, I let the rock sit in a rubbermaid with clean circulating water for a week and gave a final rinse, (virtually nothing came off), and plunked it in my 135. So far I have had no more hair algae, (now that nitrates are under control), and all the coralline algae survived. Keep in mind that my 72 had about 80 lbs of rock that I added to about 150 that I had in my 135 and the two systems shared a common sump. If you are cycling from new I see no reason that this method wouldn't work...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!