Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > New to the Hobby

Old 10-08-2005, 08:07 PM

scuglass is on a distinguished road
Default 75 gal work in progress

so i have finnally finished the diy stand that i have been slowly working on and am on working my way to completion. i have just a few questions and am looking for opinions

i have a 75 gal which i have to drill and build overflows for i was thinking dual 1.25 bulkheads into a 25-40 gal sump(havent found one yet) with a mag 9.5 rreturn at about 5 feet this would give me about 750gph running through my sump

will this be enough flow running thru my sump and will two 1.25 inch bulk heads be able to handel this flow?

if the bulk heads are never fully submerged will this reduce noise or should i have 2 downward facing elbows and a t with an opening to let air escape outside the tank?

for flow i was thinking about buying a seio 1500 would this be good flow or are there any other suggestions? i will be going bare bottom so there will be no issues with sand storms.

lighting i have 4 x 65 watt pc how long should i run the lighting 14 hr atinics and 12 hour 10000ks?

i was thinking heaters 2x250 watt i have no idea what brands to look at so ne suggestions are welcomed.

looking for live rock if ne 1 is sellign ne

can i just buy cutting boards from any store and cut them to the demensions of my tank rather than ordering starboard?

if ne 1 can drill tanks or knows of a place i should take it give me a pm also if u have ne of the above for sale give me a pm

heres a few pic of the stand i built

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
thanks scott
Old 10-08-2005, 08:15 PM

hmmmm sorry bout the pics if someone can fix them that would be kool
Old 10-08-2005, 08:42 PM

reeferaddict is on a distinguished road

What do you plan to keep?

FYI - EACH 1.25" will be good for around 11-1200 GPH... Flow through your sump is subjective. I only have a single 1" on my 135 which restricts me to <600GPH through my sump, but my total system flow including Seio's, Tunze, and closed loops is pretty close to 7000 gph WITH a sandbed... my 72 and refuge use the same sump, so I actually have close to 1100 gph flowing through it... just <600 from my 135...
135G Mixed Reef. Bullet 2, 25 gal refugium, 2 X250W MH + 4X 96W PC\'s, DIY Calcium Reactor, Coralife 1/6 HP Chiller, Phosban, Tunze, 2 closed loops & SQWD\'s, Seios, Coralife 4 stage RO/DI & a bunch of other expensive gadgets... I may never retire, but I'm gonnahavahelluvanaquarium!
Old 10-08-2005, 10:37 PM

i plan on keeping a hammer frogspawn various zoos xenia shrooms open brain candy cane anemone and other softies and lps maybee a clam which is not as light demanding as others (if i find that my lighting will be sufficient to support it) at first if i choose to move to sps later i know my lighting and flow will not be sufficiet with just one seio 1500
Old 10-09-2005, 12:03 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

I fixed the photos. You need to right click on the picture and select "properties" then copy the link. You may want to resize those though, they're huge!

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:23 AM

there we go all fixed
Old 10-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:13 AM

geopod is on a distinguished road

I use ebo jagers for heaters but I dont think it matters what brand it is.But I do use two.I set one just a little less then the one.Incase it blows then the water temp drops and the other one kicks in.So I always have heat protection.Your choice though.But I also have about 5-6 used heaters that are all differnt brands that I have as back ups and extras.

George
Old 10-11-2005, 11:47 PM

ne 1 else have opinions or answers
Old 10-12-2005, 12:10 AM

WWWD is on a distinguished road

your lighting is nowhere near adiquate, you should be thinking about 175 watt halides or 150watt hqi's. upgrading later is costly, the bulbs last half as long and will you will spend just as much as halides in the end but get a much better lighting system. you can easily get away with 1 250 heater. look for a titanium one they are unbreakable. a seio 1500 is a pretty stong pump for lps, if will whip them around alot in a 75, it will also blow the crap outa a sand bed. try an 1100 they are smaller and use a diffrent mounting system.