PDA

View Full Version : To edit posts or not edit posts

moppy
09-04-2012, 05:40 AM
It is driving me nuts that I can't edit after I've posted, especially when it involves prices and stuff being sold. So, can someone who is in charge take a poll on this?

Or at least seriously think about why you aren't allowing people to edit their posts and maybe change it back to the way it was?

Thanks

windcoast reefs
09-04-2012, 05:48 AM
From my understanding it got kinda outa control for a while. People just were deleting posts for no reason. I think it was handy, but not really necessary.

paddyob
09-04-2012, 12:06 PM
It definitely was a Benefit in buy sell.

Aquattro
09-04-2012, 02:09 PM
especially when it involves prices and stuff being sold.

This is mostly why it was removed. People were deleting things once sold, or completed emptying the post. We asked a billion times for this not to happen, temporarily removed editing, and as soon as we restored it, posts got removed again. So no poll, there's just no editing here beyond the initial 15 minutes.
It's easy enough to post a follow up post with items that are sold, or price renewals. If someone doesn't have the time to read all 7 posts in an ad, they probably don't have time to drive to your house to buy it. It's not that tough..

Snaz
09-04-2012, 02:24 PM
I'm fine with it. If it was to be changed I would extend the time out to 30 minutes perhaps.

Enigma
09-04-2012, 03:31 PM
This is mostly why it was removed. People were deleting things once sold, or completed emptying the post. We asked a billion times for this not to happen, temporarily removed editing, and as soon as we restored it, posts got removed again. So no poll, there's just no editing here beyond the initial 15 minutes.
It's easy enough to post a follow up post with items that are sold, or price renewals. If someone doesn't have the time to read all 7 posts in an ad, they probably don't have time to drive to your house to buy it. It's not that tough..

It is really nice to be able to go through the old ads for cost comparison purposes. It is also nice to be able to go through them and see who most likely has colonies of what corals. Sometimes an item can even be traced back through a few buyers, which is another bonus.

Aquattro
09-04-2012, 03:44 PM
It is really nice to be able to go through the old ads for cost comparison purposes. It is also nice to be able to go through them and see who most likely has colonies of what corals. Sometimes an item can even be traced back through a few buyers, which is another bonus.

Exactly. And when people delete all the contents, or edit price to Sold, that historic benefit is gone.
The people that want the editing back in the buy/sell forums are typically the ones we're specifically targeting to NOT edit :)
There is no real NEED for editing, other than perhaps tank journals, which I've always tweaked for people as needed.

reefwars
09-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Exactly. And when people delete all the contents, or edit price to Sold, that historic benefit is gone.
The people that want the editing back in the buy/sell forums are typically the ones we're specifically targeting to NOT edit :)
There is no real NEED for editing, other than perhaps tank journals, which I've always tweaked for people as needed.

i have no problems with the no editing feature , ive always thought it usefull to go back through previous threads for pricing, info and even the hot debates....when there was editing people were changing stuff to much.

i like it the way it is, and as canreef grows bigger record keeping and archiving is going to become important.

:)

Coralgurl
09-04-2012, 05:35 PM
What about threads that make you face palm??? I've started a few of those I wish would just go away...no need for reminders of stupidity...:mrgreen:

Aquattro
09-04-2012, 05:37 PM
What about threads that make you face palm??? I've started a few of those I wish would just go away...no need for reminders of stupidity...:mrgreen:

We like to keep those so that 5 years from now when you're "really really smart and know everything" we can go back get an old quote :)

Skimmerking
09-04-2012, 05:39 PM
Well how are we suppose to bug you then.

May be we should have a spell check like Mozilla has then you can see your mistakes before hitting the send button. Hell i'm bad for it......

moppy
09-04-2012, 06:35 PM
All right.

I just prefer to be able to change prices and delete things that have been sold.

From what I was hearing, most comments were that people didn't like not being able to edit their posts.

oh well...

Enigma
09-04-2012, 06:54 PM

My most embarrassing posts are the ones that "autocorrect" has "fixed" for me. Usually I catch it within fifteen minutes . . . but not always. :(

Acipenser
09-10-2012, 04:17 PM
All right.

I just prefer to be able to change prices and delete things that have been sold.

From what I was hearing, most comments were that people didn't like not being able to edit their posts.

oh well...

I like to edit my post's as well - now I just carefully think about my post before posting - You can always ask a mod to edit your post if you make a DOH !

reefwars
09-10-2012, 04:29 PM
All right.

oh well...

the chaanges were made for record keeping, as canreef grows its important to log all that has happened in the past and future. too many people were changing prices, names and complete posts.the rules on posting were very clear but very few followed.

most forumns do not allow deleting of posts or threads after a time period.

not all changes canreef makes are going to suit everyone but the changes canreef makes are for the better for the site and for its members.

pricing is now easier to find, posts are easy to dig out(since no name changes) , and any rules being broken can be addressed easier and found by the moderators.

this is a good change:)

if a thread needs changing just pm a mod or start a new thread, for the most part unless your breaking any rules the changes shouldt affect anything, if it does the canreef staff can assist you in any problems you may have:)

cheers