Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Vendor Forums > Aqua Digital

Old 04-06-2011, 04:24 PM

Aqua-Digital is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Finally an affordable LED system

Now that we are fully up to speed with the distribution of Pacific Sun LED I thought it long overdue to really highlight the product and especially focus on the Metis CRP fixture. At the lower end of this thread I will highlight the cost effectiveness and also the benefits.

First some pictures

PCB in production

Built in LCD display

So what is the Metis Specs?

The Metis comes as standard with an internal computer (the computer responsible for controlling light and electronics), this computer communicates with your own PC via Blue Tooth so 100% wireless. The Metis also has digital PWM LED drivesr for GHL ProfiLux control to unlocked the awesome power of these lamps fully including storm effects.

The Metis is built with 4 types of CREE LED chips:
Neutral White XP-G 5W,
Cool White XP-G 5W,
Royal Blue XP-E 3W,
Blue XP-E 3W.

Sizes
Metis CRP 2x100W Saltwater 850mm (for aquarium up to 4 feet)
Metis CRP 3x100W Saltwater 1250mm (for aquarium up to 6 feet)
Metis CRP 4x100W Saltwater 1650mm (for aquarium up to 8 feet)

So why Metis over other units.

The metis has been designed to provide full colour spectrum and coral growth, these are high end fixtures. nothing oriental in their build.

Metis do NOT use optics - Why?
Optics create spotting and hot spots, you do not get complete colour blend instead you get seperation of colours from white to blue creating a spot light effect on the sand or rock, in turn this leads to hot spots where the coral can potentially be subject to a much higher PAR reading than maybe 2 inches to one side.

NOT using optics creates various benefits -

Smaller fixture for larger tank = more cost effective, the Metis has an optical spread of up to 120 degrees, the above mentioned sizes shows how little a lamp is required for one tank size.

No spotting or Hot spots means you do not have to raise your LED fixture high to eleminate this issue, even raising does not totally stop the spot light effect. The Metis has a recommended min Height of 15cm

Enhanced over all shimmer.

Price comparison
For a 4' tank based on the nearest competitor you would require 4 modules costing approx $2,300 before you buy the bracket assy. Or for strip light $2,600.00

Metis CRP2 = $1899 and comes with hanging kit.

The price differential becomes much greater once you get into 5" size tanks and beyond.

The Pacific Sun Metis fixture brings LED lamps that are capable of coral growth finally into the affordable hands of reef keepers.

PAR values to follow

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 04-06-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:30 PM

Metis 3 and 4 PAR available also on request

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 04-06-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:32 PM

Where to buy

We have two good dealers set up for handling all Pacific sun sales they are

Progressive reef
Incredible aquariums (ON)

At present Metis are made to order with a 14 day shipping period, but by ay the backlog of orders will be fullfilled and we will have stock.

Pacific sun also of course make the renowned Black Python fixture we will highlight these in this thread shortly.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

can optics be app;lied to this fixture after the fact if the consumer wants them? I ask because the PAR out put is typical for a non optic Cree LED and this fixture as is wouldbe good for a lower light requirment tank, but for a SPS domanated tank that is 24" deep I would not concider this unless optics were an option.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:19 PM

Hi

for 24" deep tank you 100% dont need optics with the metis unit, we have clients running these on 30" deep mixed reef, however if you personally feel you need optics which would really detract from the design and development of the fixture, yes they can be fitted at a price as a custom unit.

You maybe reading the PAR readings wrong, the distance refers to the fixture height above the water line

We had 60 degree optics fitted to a tank that was 6 feet deep for obvious reasons so to apply the same optics to 24" is really not a requirement.

Last edited by Aqua-Digital; 04-06-2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:27 PM

This thread will help a bit with the PAR explanation

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1998980
Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua-Digital View Post
Hi

You maybe reading the PAR readings wrong, the distance refers to the fixture height above the water line
actualy it isn't acording to this quote from Pacific sun in the thread you linked to

"This distance is measured between the lamp and PAR sensor.

Soon to put the results of PAR for Metis XM (various models) - a distance of 12 and 24 inches

Regards

Przemek"

so at 24" from the unit to the sensor you will have 109 PAR. so if you have the fixture 6" (your minimum recopmended hight ) above the water on a 24" deep tank on the bottom of the tank you will have less than 100 PAR.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
actualy it isn't acording to this quote from Pacific sun in the thread you linked to

"This distance is measured between the lamp and PAR sensor.
Yes this is what I am refering to, distance from water level to lamp.

I think actions with these speak louder than words. I am happy to have optics fitted for you but you very seriously dont need them, we have one client running the Metis at 60% at 24" full dominant SPS system. The client with the 30" tank is running at 85%

I will ask Pacific sun to clarify better for you
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 PM

Noteworth reply from Pacific Sun

Hi,

This lamp can be hanged up even 2" from water surface - and still will cover (Metis CRP 850mm) -about 120x70cm(about 50"x28"). Which other lamp will cover the same are like Metis?

AI? Its using focusing lenses. Of course - attaching lenses to Metis is possible - and after that on 24" there will be more then 250 PAR but area covered by ligth will be much smaller.

PAR reading taken from lamp 8x54W ATI Aquablue and Blue Plus, 24" is UNDER 80(PAR). We have checked it.And corals still grow.

PAR is not most important - also light spectrum and lighting time. Corals have to get a certain amount of energy a day - in this case it is important to both the intensity of light - and its spectrum and exposure time.

So what is the purpose of continuing the race after increasing PAR?. Frankly -we observe that in the U.S. is a very strong emphasis on the highest PAR - but in Europe it is perceived that in addition to light (which is very important, of course) - an equally important are the other parameters of water. High PAR does not guarantee a healthy and colorful corals.

Best regards
Przemyslaw Cybulski