Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-12-2013, 05:57 PM

daniella3d is on a distinguished road

I have no idea how you did your price comparaison but the RA with a temp probe, PH, a salinity module, 2 power bars of 8 outlets and wifi is 577 $ not 889$!! that's still 357$ less than the Apex package.

The temp, ph and ATO come STANDARD with the basic model at 219$. All you need to add is the salinity module and the wifi adapter and the second power bars to get a total of 16 outlets.

I am going to get the ORP as my salinity don't vary with the ATO, and my controller is still going to cost me just 430$ for temp, ph, orp, ATO, wifi and 8 outlets. That's about half the Apex price for these options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
Just did a price comparison between Apex and this "Reef Angel" controller.......because my next purchase is a controller.

To make them do the same things (this is what I would want them to do as a base)

Temp
PH
Salinity
2 X powerbars
ATO
Wifi

Apex - $934.95
Reef Angel - $889.00

Main issue with the Reef Angel is that you need to add an expensive "expansion module" for every little thing you want to add.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella3d View Post
I have no idea how you did your price comparaison but the RA with a temp probe, PH, a salinity module, 2 power bars of 8 outlets and wifi is 577 $ not 889$!! that's still 357$ less than the Apex package.
Simple math. And you MUST be forgetting that you need 'expansion modules' for all add ons, like the second power bar, and the salinity monitor.

Here it is broken down -

Controller - $289.00 (I chose the higher model in both cases, APEX as well)
Relay Expansion for Power Bar - $119.00
8 Outlet Powerbar - $99.00
Salinity Expansion Module - $149.00
Salinity Probe - $75.00
Expansion Hub (required when you have more than one expansion..lol) - $49.00
Wifi Attachment - $109.00

You add that all up.... (Those extra items are what I would want on my controller, especially a salinity monitor).

They call it addiction for a reason...
Old 04-12-2013, 02:21 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie_san View Post
I've been tagging along on this thread since I can't decide between an apex and profilux..
Is there anything the profilux has over the apex? (ignoring the costs)
I'd say there are things the profilux can do better than apex. For example Apex can control tunze pumps but profilux has better control options for various waves and randomizing features built in. Apex can also control LEDs but profilux has built in Light Composer which offers the same control as the Mitra so for any DIY style fixtures this could be substantial. It has more features built in and most advanced features are easier to add and integrate. Programming is easier, I believe the software is better and parts are suppose to be more reliable and better quality, however not saying apex has issues. For example the power pars cost more because they come with double pole industrial relays able to cope with large demands and are user serviceable and they only have 6 sockets per strip because it will reduce the risk of overload. Profilux hardware reliability is to the point where you just don't find dead units, ever.

I would guess that the Apex could actually do anything the profilux can but getting there would not be as easy. Profilux is more plug and play for the most part, Apex can require a little more advanced programming and setup from what I understand.

In the end you just pick the controller that does what you want for the money you're willing to spend. Pretty sure they can all do what's needed, how you get there is usually the difference.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:33 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
I'd say there are things the profilux can do better than apex.
I would guess that the Apex could actually do anything the profilux can but getting there would not be as easy. Profilux is more plug and play for the most part, Apex can require a little more advanced programming and setup from what I understand.
Id agree. I have a P3 and would never go back to anything else. The programming is a bit tricky to figure out at first, but now the possibilities are pretty much endless.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Codfather View Post
The programming is a bit tricky to figure out at first, but now the possibilities are pretty much endless.
I think they're both the same that way. When I was choosing a controller, I figured out what I was going to need. While the Profilux had a couple of things easier to do, I didn't need that functionality, and while my LFS was really cutting the cost he was going to give it to me for, the Apex was still a lot less and fit my needs better. With Tunze and AI, the native support worked well. I also didn't want the Profilux display, I like the smaller Apex better, again, for my needs. Quality has been great, vendor and peer support is amazing, and I'm glad I went the direction I did. I think both probably have limitations(maybe??), but for most users, they're likely way beyond what you typically need anyway.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 PM

The Codfather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
I also didn't want the Profilux display.
Doesnt like the display..doesnt like the colour...

I run everything through my computer, Id think that any display would be a problem. Im old and cant see......
Old 04-12-2013, 06:42 PM

yycguy is on a distinguished road

I will give a thumbs up !!!! For the Apex..... I did consider the Reef Angel but I personally thought the Apex would be a easier setup.
I absolutely love the Apex as I would guess you would with any of the top Controllers .....
Old 04-12-2013, 07:43 PM

cwatkins is on a distinguished road

I love my Apex. It has simplified everything so much!

With Kids there's no way I could keep a tank without the Apex.

THE best purchase I've made for the tank.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Just a guy..

Aquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the roughAquattro is a jewel in the rough

Have we talked him into it yet???
Old 04-13-2013, 04:19 PM

banditpowdercoat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
Have we talked him into it yet???
Little more Little more HEHEHE

Umm, a tank or 5