Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Pump Specific

Old 12-21-2012, 02:20 AM

Nano is on a distinguished road
Cool korilia mod

Anyone else every tried this? If your not familiar with it, its simple and can really boost the flow out of your korilias.

I basically just snipped out every second bar on the powerhead at the back, allowing more water through, to put things in perspective I did one and compared after reading about it online, and the difference was definitely noticeable. My 2 - 425's are pushing alot of water through my cube now. and I have them both on one end of the tank pointed in the same direction, I'll tell you the detritus couldn't settle if it tried to. Since its suspended my skimmer is working overtime and I can see the flow patern in the tank, there is great under/over tow now and my wrasse is super happy playing in the current.

I highly suggest you try it if you own these you won't be disappointed
Old 12-21-2012, 02:33 AM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

I tried this and shortly after all 3 pump motors died not sure if it was bad luck or overspeed not sure but it improved flow tremoundsly

360 Reef Tank
Old 12-21-2012, 02:39 AM

11purewater is on a distinguished road

Mine will just get clogged with bigger bubble algae.it is a great tip though!
Old 12-21-2012, 02:42 AM

Hard to say, I know I've had a dud right out of the box, and 2 die within a few weeks of use, could be faulty or just the fact that they're korilias :P

But yes the flow is noticeably better. I also saw a video for the korilia 4 where the Maxijet impeller was used instead of the stock impeller and probably doubled the flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11purewater View Post
Mine will just get clogged with bigger bubble algae.it is a great tip though!
Haha yeah I just cleaned the crud out of mine and thought "i wonder if there's any mods for these"
This was the simplest one I found

You can also cut a few ribs out of the front cage as well to give a wide flow vs focused
Old 12-21-2012, 02:52 AM

Madreefer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nano View Post
I also saw a video for the korilia 4 where the Maxijet impeller was used instead of the stock impeller and probably doubled the flow.
This definetly works as I tried it. I put a post up about it a couple of years ago. Only problem that would happen is that it would go in reverse on start up. But after turning of and on a couple of times it would begin working properly.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madreefer View Post
This definetly works as I tried it. I put a post up about it a couple of years ago. Only problem that would happen is that it would go in reverse on start up. But after turning of and on a couple of times it would begin working properly.
Guess lots have tried this then. So far I'm happy with it, the polyps on my acros are all out dancing away, some of the frags are even moving, so I'll have to adjust the positions a bit as to not over power the corals.

I think the best part so far is how happy my wrasse is lol keeps swimming to the powerheads, then letting it blow him back lol. Ahhh to be a fish.