Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 PM

Canuckgod420 is on a distinguished road
Default Carbon question

Does anyone know if changing carbon can cause a bleaching event. I replaced my 2 cups of carbon with fresh carbon and the next day half my SPS where white with no polyp extension, and almost all my LPS and rics where closed up. I dont get it, I have used carbon for years with no issues and this is the only thing I have done in the last couple of days.
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 11-28-2011, 10:12 PM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

It may have caused a swing in the pH. A pH swing is due to the carbon’s adsorption of chlorides, sulfates, nitrates, and other anions from the water, which caused a rise in the pH. Water pH remains elevated until the carbon’s pores become filled with these anions. Typically, 200 to 300 bed volumes of water must pass through carbon before pH drops to 8 or 8.5.

Typically we don't deal with large quantities of carbon with respect to out water volumes, so we don't often notice an effect, however, 2 cups may have been large enough to cause a swing.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:34 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckgod420 View Post
Does anyone know if changing carbon can cause a bleaching event. I replaced my 2 cups of carbon with fresh carbon and the next day half my SPS where white with no polyp extension, and almost all my LPS and rics where closed up. I dont get it, I have used carbon for years with no issues and this is the only thing I have done in the last couple of days.
Did you change brands? Did you change the amount? Did you rinse it first? How long since you changed it last? I essentially use a tad more than you per gallon as I use 300 mL on a 90 gallon tank, changing this amount out has never cause me any issues.

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Did you change brands? Did you change the amount? Did you rinse it first? How long since you changed it last? I essentially use a tad more than you per gallon as I use 300 mL on a 90 gallon tank, changing this amount out has never cause me any issues.
I did change brands....I got the kent rabbit pellet looking carbon over the marineland I was using before, I did rinse it, and its been about 6 weeks since I last changed it. I actually reduced the amount of carbon I normally use. I usually fill my 2 little fishes reactor but this time I did about half(2 cups).

I too have never had an issue but as I stated earlier, this is the only thing I have changed in a long time.
180G tank, custom DIY stand, Sunlight Supply-Sun Blaze 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, EuroReef CS6-1 and Vertex in 180 skimmers, 1/4 HP chiller, Tunze wavebox, 40G sump, and 40G refugium. http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57451
Old 11-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Gold Member

lastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura aboutlastlight has a spectacular aura about

When you say new brand do you mean this wa also the first time using the new brand? I'd be switching back!
Old 11-28-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I did change brands....I got the kent rabbit pellet looking carbon over the marineland I was using before, I did rinse it, and its been about 6 weeks since I last changed it. I actually reduced the amount of carbon I normally use. I usually fill my 2 little fishes reactor but this time I did about half(2 cups).

I too have never had an issue but as I stated earlier, this is the only thing I have changed in a long time.
The Kent Reef Carbon is what I have used for a couple years now (got a bucket for cheap lol). I do boil carbon in RO/DI before using. Have you tested parameters lately? Did you turn the reactor off? Any difference with it off?

SPS fanatic.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:30 AM

msjboy is on a distinguished road
Default maybe this too..

I have heard when people put new reactors to their tank or change to a new reactor media , the media can strip the water so clean for the existing setup, established corals will go into shock and some may die. Guess best is to go slow and watch out for drastic changes to the water.

msjboy
Old 11-29-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
The Kent Reef Carbon is what I have used for a couple years now (got a bucket for cheap lol). I do boil carbon in RO/DI before using. Have you tested parameters lately? Did you turn the reactor off? Any difference with it off?

I have turned the reactor off.....no difference as of yet in my SPS but my rics are open today. I have tested my parameters and from what I can tell everything is right around where they should be.

Why do you boil you carbon? Is there something I am missing with that step? Is it to help remove any phosphates that may be in it?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Why do you boil you carbon? Is there something I am missing with that step? Is it to help remove any phosphates that may be in it?
Revisiting this thread...sorry I missed your followup question. Yeah, I boil it to help leach any phosphate out. There is a faint slightly greasy film (along with some black fines) that forms on the water surface while boiling. I lay dry paper towel on the surface and the film sticks to it for easy removal.

Did you ever use the Kent carbon again? Did you switch to a different brand now? Update...?

SPS fanatic.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:16 PM

Right now I am carbon free.....thinking about trying it again.....