Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 11-23-2011, 08:18 PM

shootingstar is on a distinguished road
Default swc cone 160 - replacement pump suggestion

A question for the folks that are running the swc cone 160.

Has anyone replaced the atman pump for something else?

Looking for a non atman/sicce pump suggestion that will fit.

Seriously sick and tired of the restart issues, if I can't find a decent pump to replace the existing one I may look at turfing the whole dang skimmer.

It has been repaired/replaced several times already and is not even a year old.

It simply will not restart after being unpluged/power loss, 100% of the time. I have to remove the collection cup....lift and tilt sideways....yell things my momma said were rude... and it starts up.

Love the skimmer.....HATE the pumps.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:00 PM

globaldesigns is on a distinguished road

I have this skimmer, now as a backup. Had the same restart issues, but if I blew into the air line, it always started. But what if you were not home, and power glitched, then probably pump would burn out.

Good question, so I am tagging along to see what others say.

Jason (SWC) replaced my pump once already as it did quite working causing my GFC to trip, but new pump has same issues. He stated to trim the impeller, but why should we?

I heard replacing the impeller with a different one works, but can anyone tell us which one?

This is a great skimmer overall.

Setup: 180G DT, 105G Refuge (approx. 300lbs LR, 150lbs Aragonite)
Hardware: Super Reef Octopus SSS-3000, Tunze ATO, Mag 18 return, 2x MP40W, 2X Koralia 4's Wavemaker
Lighting: 5ft Hamilton Belize Sun (2x250W MH, 2X80W T5HO)
Type of Aquarium: mixed reef (SPS & LPS) with fish
Dosing: Mg, Ca, Alk
Old 11-23-2011, 10:27 PM

ensquire is on a distinguished road

I've had mine for 4 months now, and I live in blackout central here. We lose power at least once a month. I have yet to have a restart problem with my Atman.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:28 PM

RDNanoGuy is on a distinguished road

I had the same issues with mine which is still on original pump. While I was servicing it lastvi simply took a sharp pair of nail scissors and trimmed any protruding bit on the impeller. Now it starts every time. Took all of 5 minutes to fix..
Old 11-23-2011, 10:43 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Same issue with the ATI bubble masters when they came out, trimming the impeller helps for sure. It's an easier solution than replacing the whole pump.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:54 PM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

i had the same issue with my swc 150 that comes with the atman 2500 pump. I purchased it in the states but the store warrantied the pump for me.

The issue is the pin wheels supplied with the pumps didnt have very good quality control. Some pumps came with huge wheels and the pumps have trouble turning the wheel initially due to the increased resistance. Clipping the need wheel reduced the drag and the pump could then restart on its own. The only problem is the pump could get damaged if was left on after blackout and kept trying to turn the larger wheel. This is what happened to my pump so even the new pin wheel didnt resolve the restart issue.

I have three needle wheels and they are pretty close in size. The one that doesnt work is maybe 2mm bigger than the one that the store told would work for sure.

I would like to see how this skimmer operates under the new Eheim Compact Skimmer pumps or the new Sicce 600 pump.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:38 AM

shootingstar is on a distinguished road

"I would like to see how this skimmer operates under the new Eheim Compact Skimmer pumps or the new Sicce 600 pump".

Does anyone know if the Eheim will fit?? and which model number it would be.
Not interested in replacing it with a Sicce as they are known to have the very same issues.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:46 AM

poleyc is on a distinguished road
Default Possible answer

Pm Myka she might be able to help as she's running a swc and i'm pretty sure she's done some mods to hers.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:27 AM

PoonTang is on a distinguished road

I have the sicce pump on my extreme 200 and have never had a restart problem and the pump gets turned off daily for my feedings. The mesh wheel was a completely different story. It was so bad I tossed it for the needle wheel and besides the increase in bubble production was negligible at best.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:42 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

this would make a great slogan......"SWC skimmers........Only slight modification required"
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694