Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > Other > Lounge

Old 08-15-2010, 03:15 AM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road
Default When do the new 2011 Cars come out?

Just wondering when the new 2011 cars will start appearing.

I'm looking into getting a new car but it's been 20 years since I bought my last car.

I kind of hate getting rid of my 1990 Honda Civic Si........ the first car I ever bought with my own money. But it's time to let it go.

Cheers,
Vic
Old 08-15-2010, 03:18 AM

Wingin It is on a distinguished road

They've already started rolling in on the Ford Dealerships...not sure about the others though.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:39 AM

noirsphynx is on a distinguished road

My brother-in-law has the new 2011 Camaro. So I guess Chevy's are starting to come out as well.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:34 AM

Northvan is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 cars

Dont buy new - you lose $5000 rolling off the lot, best bet is a lease return with low km, maybe 2 yrs old... I manage a body shop in north van & we have several 2011 vehicles in for repair - resale value now about 50% because of "dec" which is declaration of damage....these people have now lost alot of money, & one of them wasnt at fault. Financing a new car is at lower rate, but I think you still lose in the end, especially at the "buy out" at the end. Go used!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:29 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

I'd second looking at slightly used. I saved over $15K on my car cause I let someone put 40K on it. Got it re-certified through the dealer with new warranty and even a better finance rate compared to the new models. It was the same as the new ones at the time and in such good shape no one could really tell, most assumed it was purchased new.

I'll probably never buy new again after such a good experience. It is partially luck and good bartering skills but anyone could do it.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:19 PM

Ron99 is on a distinguished road

Or buy a slightly used car across the border. You'll save even more. I've brought two cars over from the US and it's pretty straightforward.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:27 PM

Chaloupa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirsphynx View Post
My brother-in-law has the new 2011 Camaro. So I guess Chevy's are starting to come out as well.
OMG so very very very jealous! I drool every time one drives by!!!!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:48 PM

Tom R is on a distinguished road

It may cost you a little more for new, however there is nothing like a new car. It is only money. If you have never had a new car then treat yourself to the feeling.

As you have had your last car for 10 years I think that the cost of new and owning for 10 years works out to being very close to buying used and keeping it for a shorter period of time.

I would never buy a car that has been in accident, they never feel the same after an accident. They certainly never have that new car feeling.

Treat yourself you only live once.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:02 PM

Slick Fork is on a distinguished road

I did a stint in car sales once, you lose a percentage buying used as well. It's the difference between buying at retail and selling at wholesale.

Yes, a car depreciates the most in the first 2 years of its life hence the "deals" you see when buying used. However for me, it's ALWAYS offset by the fact that you have no idea what kind of maintenance the previous owner did. They might've put that 40,000 km's on without a single oil change. Sure you can buy or negotiate an extended warranty from the dealership but if you read the fine print they never cover everything.

If you're looking at new, anywhere between an 8% and 12% discount is cutting pretty close to the dealers cost. Always try to buy towards the end of the month, quarter, year. Late november is when most manufacturers start bringing out their clearance programs with big rebates and low rate financing on current year models. Keep in mind that this also goes hand in hand with limited selection.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:12 PM

BlueTang<3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Fork View Post
However for me, it's ALWAYS offset by the fact that you have no idea what kind of maintenance the previous owner did. They might've put that 40,000 km's on without a single oil change. Sure you can buy or negotiate an extended warranty from the dealership but if you read the fine print they never cover everything.

If you're looking at new, anywhere between an 8% and 12% discount is cutting pretty close to the dealers cost.

+1 Being a mechanic my self i see a lot. The saying good from far but far from good. You can never tell what was done to the vehicle in maintenance or how it was driven.

360 Reef Tank

Last edited by BlueTang<3; 08-15-2010 at 07:17 PM.