Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 12-18-2008, 03:51 AM

reeferious is on a distinguished road
Default sea grass filefish

a while ago i spent almost 3 hours injecting every single aptissa and mojano anemonies in tank but since then they have been making a omeback. heard from somewhere that a sea grass filefish might be these anemonies' worse nightmare. i am about to get one locally but need to make certain my corals will be safe. does anyone has further knowledge about this particular file fish?
pls feel free to give your valuable knowledge.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:05 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I have no idea but I did pick up a nice Copperband today that is about the healthiest I have ever seen them (eating mysis like pigs) and already he has cleared a decent sized aiptasia covered rock of most of the pest anemones.

Might be another option. Generally reef safe. The ones at J&L now looks great too.

That filefish you are interested in though looks really cool.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:20 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

+1 for the CBB. All I have to do is hold a rock or coral in the tank and he'll pick them off while I hold the rock.

The filefish looks cool but I don't know anything about them.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 AM

spoot is on a distinguished road

I got 2 peppermints and they cleared out all the aiptasia from my rock. Have not had any grow back ever since.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:35 PM

Johnny Reefer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Johnny Reefer

Don't know about Seagrass Filefish, but I bought two Tasseled Filefish (Chaetoderma pencilligera) on the suggestion from my LFS that they might eat Aiptasia, based on reports from European reefers. They didn't. But it's all good. They are cool fish regardless, and two of my favourites. And I managed to get the Aiptasia under control by zapping them with Kalkwasser; scrubbing the rock; and introducing a small army of Peppermint shrimp (about 12 in a 180g). Haven't seen one Aiptasia in a long time.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:02 AM

reeferious is on a distinguished road
Default sea grass file fish

thanx everyone for your inputs. i do have 6 peppermints in my tank and i think they are chewing up smaller aiptasias but not touching the few larger ones: however i'm seeing a mojano population explosion and i swear every couple days i see them doubling in number and i don't believe cbb or peppermints touch these S.O.B.s. i'm not in the mood to try inject everyone of these again and watch them come back in no time. my last resort might be these filefish and hope they first go for these mojanos with me ready to plunk them out into sump once they more or less go through these mojanos. i'm at my wit's end.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:28 AM
Likes to play with Fish

tang daddy is on a distinguished road

A friend of mine once had a big majano problem but I think with 3 guys on full time scrubbing rocks and whatever else they did it's now M free.

90g starphire cube/400mhRadium20k/2 XHO/2x27w UV/2x39w T5/ 3 Trulumen led strips