Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-08-2017, 01:58 PM

Myka will become famous soon enough
Default Article: Dry Rock vs Live Rock

I found this article this morning, and thought it was a good read.

https://aquaboxaquariums.com/media/l...k-vs-dry-rock/

The only part I disagree with is this: "Since dry rock is, well… dry, the shipping cost is greatly reduced. Transit time doesn’t matter making ground transportation the standard option, and lacking water weight it comes in much lighter loads."

I have weighed dry rock before and after wetting. With Pukani there is about 8% weight difference after several weeks of curing. With Marco and other mined rocks there is almost zero difference - little enough that it is negligible. So if you think you're buying a whole lot less pounds of rock because you're buying dry, forget that. The shipping cost difference isn't so much in weight, it is in the transit method (live rock must be very fast from ocean to retailer, dry rock can take weeks to get to the retailer, doesn't matter).

SPS fanatic.

Last edited by Myka; 06-08-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:09 PM

DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road

Good read Myka! I didn't realize all the options on the man made side available now.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:19 PM

DAVE is on a distinguished road

Realistically the majority of LR offered is called "boat rock" which means it was shipped via Sea freight from place of origin to the suppliers, this is a weeks to months process.

Some of us do Air Freight LR straight from the source, but it is extremely expensive due to air freight costs and there is little demand for TRUE LR due to the high price tag.

The term "Live rock" is thrown out there far to often when in reality it is boat rock. Still alive to a point, but not like true LR that was harvested and shipped within a few days.