Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Old 04-19-2015, 12:14 AM

helimech is on a distinguished road
Default Bigger is better right?

So after having a 29 Gal Biocube for a few months, I've decided that I'm going to push my budget and my space and set up a 75 Gal display with a 50 Gal tank to act as a sump and perhaps refugium as well.

I'm still new to this, so feel free to correct or comment!

So far I have The display and sump tanks, just finished building the main support platform for the stand, and an MP-40.

Seems I still need a few things.

I picked up some dry rock (approx 35 lbs)
I have some rock in my biocube, but have to decide if I will transfer it to the new tank.
And I will be picking up a bunch of live rock from a fellow Canreefer next weekend.

I still need to decide if I will use a skimmer or not (leaning toward yes)
I still need to get an appropriate size pump for the return to tank. (not quite sure what size I need at there will be a head of approx 4 feet.)
Still need to "build" the sump (aka put in deviders, etc.)

I'm not quite set on what livestock I'm gonna have, but I'd even just be happy with my shrimp and two Chromis'. I'm actually more intersted in the softies! That's what I need more space for!
Old 04-19-2015, 01:38 AM
Darth Moderator

WarDog will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a good start! I'd get a skimmer rated for 150 to 200 gallons, as I'm sure one day you will find some LPS and sps making their way into your tank! Also the Eheim 1262 would be a good reliable pump for your set up. Looking forward to your build and the pictures to follow! Welcome to Canreef!
Old 04-19-2015, 04:20 AM
No Cookies

Dearth is on a distinguished road

As Wardog stated a skimmer is well worth the investment yes it can be costly but in the long run it will give you piece of mind

If you are leaning towards soft corals do you have a preference in mind are you looking for low or tall corals, slow or fast growing, colourful or bland

Keep us updated and don't be afraid to ask questions even if you think it's a stupid one sometimes the stupid sounding questions are the most important questions to ask.

Pictures are a must we demand pictures 😜
Old 04-19-2015, 02:50 PM

gtareef is on a distinguished road

I would recommend to go with a skimmer.

As for dry rock, ex. Marco rock are known to release PO4. Just make sure to strip as much PO4 from the rock prior adding them to your tank. You can search the forums on how to do this.

I recommend Eheim as well. You should add a check valve.
Old 04-19-2015, 03:59 PM

matt_C is on a distinguished road

A bubble magus curve 7 would work out perfectly for you.
as for a return pump yo would want something in the 700-900 gallon an hour range even high if you plan on running reactors and such off of it.
Depend on the noise level mag drives last forever but are a little bit louder, eheim 1262 is a great pump but still loud compared to a DC pump
There arew many different options when picking out a pump. just figure out what one is quiet enough for you.
For the sump just make sure you have a steady skimmer section to make your skimmer perform at the best for you.
Old 04-20-2015, 12:10 AM

Well I guess I will have to keep my eye out for a good deal on a skimmer that i like. I just wish I could make one they seem simple enough. (JK)
you want pics, well Here you go!

So I turns out that the sump was a little tighter than i anticipated

As for what I like, I am still finding that out. Colour of course is always a bonus!

75 Gal and sump in storage....One day it shall return....I hope
Old 04-28-2015, 04:59 AM

Well got the far end of the tank painted, picked up some great Live rock and a DC pump rated up to 1300 gal/hour, but controllable, so I can run it at lower power and hopefully get some good life out of it
(thanks Laurie!)
Been working on the plumbing, and trying to plan a bit for the future
Also picked up a 300w inline heater.
gonna pick up a skimmer (vertex in-80) and a doser tomorrow, as...well after some advice I decided that I will likely end up with hard corals too.
Gotta get working on the sump!

75 Gal and sump in storage....One day it shall return....I hope
Old 04-28-2015, 03:05 PM

mike31154 will become famous soon enough

Things definitely tight with the tall sump under the stand. Fitting & maintaining skimmer down there will be a nasty chore. In fact, working on anything down there will be a hassle. Might consider something a little shorter.

Sumps are great & I'd love to have one myself, but I've been running without for years. Not saying you should, but the reason I mention this is that because I don't have a sump, my skimmer is external, mounted on a little stand next to the display. It's a diy wooden air diffuser skimmer that came with the tank when I purchased it years ago. I realize you've already purchased a skimmer but figured you may want some additional info, perhaps for the future.

There has been much discussion, some research & plenty of new developments regarding skimmer technology over the years, but the bottom line is, most of them end up being roughly equal in performance. Even my old tech air diffuser rig does a fine job of pulling organics out of the water. The main factors determining skimmer efficiency (aside from physical size) are bubble size (smaller=better) & contact time between the water passing thru skimmer & bubbles (longer contact time=better). Wooden air diffusers need to be changed out periodically, but they produce some of the finest bubbles I've seen. A small power head in a skimming box in my display moves water slowly through my skimmer. I can regulate the height of the water column by either throttling the power head, the air pump output or adjusting a valve on the skimmer return line. Low power consumption & quiet operation are a couple of other pros to using this old school method. Cons are that the thing is sitting there next to my display & I wish it was a little taller to lengthen contact time.

Here are some photos, a few years old, but should give you an idea of how an air driven skimmer works

A search on air driven, counter current skimmers should bring up plenty of additional info for your reading pleasure. Some day I will have a basement sump which will feature a 6 foot air driven skimmer!
Old 04-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Banned

gobytron is an unknown quantity at this point

There are quite a few really nice skimmerless tanks out there.

I have always found that unless you are keeping sps, A skimmer can be left out of a successful reef.

You just need to be consistent and generous with your water changes.

You state you are primarily interested in softies.

If that's the case, you can definitely skip getting a pricey skimmer at first and get one down the line if you start to add more demanding coral or if you start to get lazy on your water changes.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:40 PM

reefwithareefer is on a distinguished road

If you are more interested in softies, I have three you can have for free...