Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Product Review and Equipment Forum > Filtration and Skimmer Specific

Old 12-14-2013, 06:12 PM

Chase31 is on a distinguished road
Default Vertex omega 130

So I got this skimmer a couple of days ago and got called out to work before I was able to get through the 24 hour break in. now my girlfriend says it's still overflowing. from what she's sent me and what Iv read there are bubbles below the bubble plate, this means there is something in my water? My first step when I go home is to replace my carbon. Am I on the right trac or should I be looking in a different direction?
Old 12-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Colony Growing Master

Rice Reef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase31 View Post
So I got this skimmer a couple of days ago and got called out to work before I was able to get through the 24 hour break in. now my girlfriend says it's still overflowing. from what she's sent me and what Iv read there are bubbles below the bubble plate, this means there is something in my water? My first step when I go home is to replace my carbon. Am I on the right trac or should I be looking in a different direction?
Breaking in a skimmer takes more than 24 hrs. If new it can take couple weeks. Best to dial it back and gradually adjust until you find the sweet spot. You may also want to check the water height level... I think it recmds 7-9 inches...
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller
Old 12-14-2013, 06:41 PM

The hight is about 7 inches or 7 1/2. The standpipe is open all the way and it's still overflowing is the problem I'm having
Old 12-14-2013, 06:43 PM
Colony Growing Master

Quote:
The hight is about 7 inches or 7 1/2. The standpipe is open all the way and it's still overflowing is the problem I'm having
You may also want to try raising it to see if it makes a difference.. Each system is different.
ATI 48" 3x75W LED with 8x54W T5, 2xTunze 6105, 2 x Maxspect Gyre XF150, Bubble King Mini 200 ( soon to be replaced by a Bubble King SM 200), Eheim 1262, Via Aqua 300 watt Titanium heater, JBJ ATO, Apex Controller
Old 12-14-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice Reef View Post
You may also want to try raising it to see if it makes a difference.. Each system is different.
If I raise it much more the outlet will be out of the water, might make a lot of noise that way and I can't see it having to be out of the water like that. Is my bubbles below the bubble plate a hunch or am I totally wrong with that. If you look at the pic you can see the bubbles all the way down and below the plate.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:38 PM
Colony Growing Master

Quote:
If I raise it much more the outlet will be out of the water, might make a lot of noise that way and I can't see it having to be out of the water like that. Is my bubbles below the bubble plate a hunch or am I totally wrong with that. If you look at the pic you can see the bubbles all the way down and below the plate.
I meant raising the water level, not raising the skimmer higher... That will reduce the water level.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:42 PM

If I raise the water level will that not just make it just a overflow worse?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:43 PM

mrhasan is on a distinguished road

Put it in freshwater with vinegar in it and let it run for couple of days and then put it back into water...helps with the breaking in

You wouldn't want to see my tank. I don't use fancy equipment and I am a noob
Old 12-14-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhasan View Post
Put it in freshwater with vinegar in it and let it run for couple of days and then put it back into water...helps with the breaking in
I was told to try that, I am away for work so won't be home to wed, at that point it will have been in the sump overflowing for 7 days. And I'm only home for a few hours so should I put it in vinegar and let it run for 4 days?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:48 PM
Second Best

spit.fire is on a distinguished road

I wiped mine down with vinigar and water, worked perfect afterwards, no break in