Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2012, 03:30 PM

mr.wilson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Hey Shawn, nice to see you posting on CanReef! [Mindy here]
I know, I know... I need spend more time posting with my fellow Canucks.

Quote:
When was that problem, and the change? My buckets (I've only used 5 buckets to date though) always test around 7.5 to 8.5 dKH (Elos).
It was two years ago. I assume the goal was to replace carbonate dosing with water changes, but not every tank load and water change schedule is the same.

Quote:
I think IO and IORC are the most poplar salts in the world mainly because of pricing and availability. IO was the first commerical salt mix to be readily available to hobbyists and professionals. They work - there is no doubt about that.
This is true. Public aquariums get a good discount/subsidy and in reality, shipping costs play a major role in brand selection. They also have standards (good, bad or ugly) that need to be constant.

Quote:
As you know, H2Ocean is a natural sea salt and IO and IORC are synthetic. It's like comparing natural and synthetic vitamins (which is all the rage these days), where some people claim there is no scientific difference between the way to body metabolizes synthetic vitamins compared to natural, yet there is plenty of data to support the other side of the argument as well. The frustrating thing about reefing is that there is very little scientific data to go on, and if there is any it is done by one professional with no comparative results from other researchers. Most of or "research" is anecdotal which is sketchy at best.
I believe in the theory that there are phytochemicals that increase the efficacy of vitamins and nutrients, but for some reason I've always taken a less wholistic approach to salt mixes. Perhaps it is the bad experiences with other "natural" brands like Royal Ocean and Red Sea or maybe I'm just cynical of the bad stuff that comes with the good stuff in natural sea salt. I shouldn't trust man made chemicals over natures gifts, but in the case of dehydrated and supplemented sea salt it isn't exactly natural anymore. I do eat sea salt chips if that's a conciliation

Quote:
I just bought another years' supply of H2Ocean yesterday. The sale price of the H2Ocean was the same as the regular price of IO, so I really have nothing to lose. At this point, even if it is mind over matter it's working.
I believe there was a recent general price drop on H2Ocean. It was voted the most popular salt on ultimate reef which is a UK based reef forum. H2Ocean originates in the UK so cost and availability is obviously a factor.

Everyone has a brand they have settled with but it doesn't appear that the debate is as hot as other topics within the hobby.