Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 03-03-2009, 04:57 PM

my2rotties is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to my2rotties Send a message via Yahoo to my2rotties
Default Angel fish and disease

Are angel fish harder to keep then most other fish like tangs? I sadly lost my Emperor angel last week due to hemorrhaging and bruising much like my Majestic the week before. All other fish are fine. I put both fish in the freezer and now they have blood coming out of the bruises and mouths. Both were form the same store, and my other angels are fine. I had them since I started the tank back in December and they were fine and suddenly got sick and died on me.

I did not want to post about it since I always get the answers about my system being too new and I added fish too quickly. I bought these two angels a week apart and they died a week apart. Same symptoms and died the same way. I noticed the colour faded on the two of them, but they were eating and active, until one morning they were not. They could not breath and were surfacing to the top of the tank to get air. The Emp was worse and displayed fading colour and would be at the top of the tank a lot a few weeks before dying. I thought it was just quirky behavior since he would go swimming off and nip my corals afterward. He was eating and seemed healthy otherwise. He was sick for awhile now that he passed away but I did not really know until he was half dead the other morning. The Majestic was much quicker in symtoms and death. However she was really small.

What kind of diseases would cause this and why is it only these two fish? I am watching everyone else very closely but they are all active and colourful. I found my angels are not as interactive as my tangs but thought it is just the nature of the species.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:09 PM
Banned

Leah is on a distinguished road

I have heard that angels need a well established tank 1 year old. Don't know how true
this is but that is what I am going to do. Maybe it is a source of food that needs to develop. Your tank is really new. From anything I have read. I also heard they like clean
water. I know angels have troubles with flukes. Thats all I think of at the moment.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:25 PM

God point but my params are all at zero and never really rise. I have over 400 pounds of well established live rock in my system. There is a 55g fuge, and 72g sump. I have a giant skimmer which is more then the system needs. I run UV and a phosban reactor as well. I do 20% water changes a week even if I don't need to do so to keep water quality. They eat anything I put out for everybody and love my puffers home made mix the best.

How can I treat flukes and how do I know they have them? I don't want these fish to die in vain so whatever I can come up with for answers will help. I have no plans of replacing them, but I just need to know what happened to them. It is hard to post about losing fish, but I cannot better myself with this hobby if I don't learn from mistakes that I have made.

It was a heart breaking loss for these two beautiful fish and when I mentioned it to the LFS they wanted the bodies which I do have... I just don't know how you can know for sure what happened from frozen bodies in ziplock bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah View Post
I have heard that angels need a well established tank 1 year old. Don't know how true
this is but that is what I am going to do. Maybe it is a source of food that needs to develop. Your tank is really new. From anything I have read. I also heard they like clean
water. I know angels have troubles with flukes. Thats all I think of at the moment.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:30 PM

digital-audiophile is on a distinguished road

The tank is to new regardless of established rock and a big skimmer. I know you don't want to hear it but it really is the truth.

90G : Light - Tek 6xT5 | Skim - EuroReef RS135 | Flow - 2xVortech MP40W | Control - Reef Keeper 2
Old 03-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

It sounds like a bacteria that went systemic. Were there any lesions on the fish prior to the "bruises"?

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

Do you QT your fish? I think you can treat flukes with prazi-pro if I am not mistaken.
I think it, is the one drawback to angels and butterflys.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:41 PM

If that is the truth then so be it... I can take it. I just want to make sure it is not a disease taking these two fish... everyone else is fine. Why all the blood and hemorrhaging though? What does a new system have to cause these types of deaths. Anything I read with a new system always said it is all about params and water quality which I have. I have pods and I have everything that my research told me I need to provide a healthy stable tank for my fish.

I do not dismiss the fact that I have a new system... however where can I find information as to why this is happening and why a new system is causing these issues?

Thanks for the help. I want to better myself in this hobby and learn from it in the end. Having a new system is a good answer but what about the info to explain why a new system is causing these symptoms ion my fish leading to death?

I can take the heat and this is why I am asking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital-audiophile View Post
The tank is to new regardless of established rock and a big skimmer. I know you don't want to hear it but it really is the truth.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:51 PM

NO lesions at all, the evening before the Emp died I saw dark bruises on his sides... they did not look like scrapes but dark bruises. After he died and I took him out blood was coming out of them. I did put him in QT when I found him ill in the morning as I did with the Majestic the week before.

The store I bought these fish from heavily medicates the fish prior to sale and keeps them until they are eating. I did not know it was a bad thing to have them in heavily medicated water to be honest since it would kill any diseases on the fish... so I thought. I went to two other LFS to see what this could have been and was told they do not heavily medicate the fish since they will not have an immune system... What I thought was a good thing was not in the end according to two other store I had spoken to.

I do not QT new fish to be honest. I always found it to be stressful and my research on QT is pretty wide in range for opinions. I have fish in my tank form the 44g that came with this house... they are still alive and well to this day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
It sounds like a bacteria that went systemic. Were there any lesions on the fish prior to the "bruises"?
Old 03-03-2009, 05:57 PM

I guess I should say that according to the other stores the deaths sound like cyanide poisoning. I just don't even like bringing that up since it is a very serious thing to state. Without testing and necropsy I cannot and should not even mention such a thing. The other stores do not get larger fish like the Emp due to cyanide and their suppliers not stocking these larger fish. Majestics are also apparently hard to come by as well for the same reason. They also do not stock Regal angels for the aforementioned reasons as well.

Gills flukes make me feel some what better but can I see them on the dead fish if I look at them? I kept them for whatever reason, just in case I could find answers in their deaths in the future.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Banned

I think Angels are not meant to be kept in aquariums so I think the idea is to provide
the best chance for their survival. I know if you J&L's web page and look up angel's
they have rated the care they need. And how they acclimate to aquarium life. They
range from medium to hard it is a good quide. So's you take your chance. But I think
they really mean a well established tank. Aged if you will. They also have special food
requirments. That may or may not be met. If I were looking for a specific type of angel
I would read up first then buy. Oh I think you have got it wrong not the system just
good old aging. Which is time and more time.