Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Photography

Old 04-29-2013, 03:42 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus
Default Nikon DSLR users - anyone here using a D600?

I'm curious if anyone is using a D600 for tank photography?
Old 04-29-2013, 04:05 AM

Top-dogg is on a distinguished road

I'm using d800. I'm still trying to figure out the right settings to take a pic under led. The pics are too blue when I take shots.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 AM

fishoholic will become famous soon enough

I have a Nikon d3100 its a good camera but I still haven't learned enough about it to figure out all the settings on it yet to make the colour right.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:31 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishoholic View Post
I have a Nikon d3100 its a good camera but I still haven't learned enough about it to figure out all the settings on it yet to make the colour right.
*coughreadtheinstructionmanualcough*
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 04-29-2013, 05:02 AM

scubadawg is on a distinguished road

I have a D700 and D800, do a manual white balance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrJshpNih1M
Old 04-29-2013, 05:35 AM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

I was kind of hoping for user experiences on the D600. I'm really tempted to look into this one as the reviews are very good. It's basically the 7000 or 7100 but with a full frame sensor. It's also very similar to the D800 but 16Mp versus 24Mp and literally half the cost. I'm not sure that the extra 8Mp would make a huge difference to me so I'm really excited about the possibilities that the D600 might offer.

I'm coming off a D70s which is about 6-7 years old now, and while it's a great camera for most things, it really has a lot trouble with tank shots unless I bump up the ISO to max (which is 1600 and very grainy) or take 4 seconds per exposure which only works for corals and even then only if I turn off all water pumps and let the tank settle. And yet even then, the colour rendition is quite poor compared to many other cameras. I'm sure some of it is white balance but even with an adjusted white balance the saturation is just not there.

I'm somewhat torn because even though it's lot less than another other FX sensor model, it's still a heavy handed purchase and even if going used or refurb it pretty much nails the coffin shut for an eventual move to LED lights over tank for quite some time. I've already mentally come to terms that I'm not switching my big tank over to LED this year, I will replace the halides (a few months overdue now, been holding off because .. well I kind of thought I might switch to LED but everytime I price it out .. I just can't do it). So be that as it may, my second most profound annoyance with my tank these days is that I can't take pictures of the tank that stand in the peer group of most Canreefers who post pictures. Let's face it, I'll never be Kien and I won't try but I still wonder if I'd be happier if I could post something that doesn't 100% suck.

But then again the D7000 and D7100 would also be a huge jump from what I have, and certainly compare to the D600 with higher ISO options but are half the price again (at the cost of going with a DX sensor over an FX sensor).

Some of my lenses I've had for a while and basically date back to when I shot with a 35mm Nikon so that's why I'm still tempted to go FX because the lenses were meant for 35mm. The zoom effect is neat with the DX sensor but there are times I try shooting with one of my macro lenses and I have to stand 8 feet back otherwise all I have is one enormous fish eyeball filling the entire frame. It turns out there is such a thing as too much zoom.

Vistek offers rentals of cameras so I might just rent one for a weekend and see how it plays out and then I'll have a better idea of whether I'm ready to pull the trigger or not but in the meantime I'd still like to hear from any users about how they like it for tank shots. (Please and thank you!)

thanks all!

Last edited by Delphinus; 04-29-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:19 PM

JDigital is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to JDigital

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
*coughreadtheinstructionmanualcough*

Have you seen a Dr. about that cough... It doesn't sound to healthy!

62G Starfire Reef. Started Jan 2013 http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89988
Old 05-09-2013, 09:19 AM

smareo is on a distinguished road

D600 a pretty good camera for Fullframe entry but I would highly recommend a used d700 with a low shutter count if your only taking fish tank photos for half the price maybe 1000 bucks. I would even consider the nikon d5200 at 24mp. I would only go to fullframe if you have the glass or planning to have the glass in the future, the price your looking at a new Full frame lens is about 1000+ at 2.8f and less. You can get some cheap full frame primes under 600 bucks the 50mm 1.4f and 28 1.8f. I shoot with a Nikon D4, D800 and I sold the d600 because it was a pain to ttl everything for studio work.

Sample images from d5200 at 1600iso and up... remember the picture is cropped http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Ni...00/noise.shtml
Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM

slakker is on a distinguished road

I shoot with D3 and m wife with D90... Because of hat, I never get DX lenses and I prefer the FX sensor...
Old 04-29-2013, 03:33 PM

yycguy is on a distinguished road

Howdy, I have the d600, upgraded at Christmas from the d7000, that's another good Camera. So it's a decision on going full frame or sticking with the cropped DX line of lens. You can sill however use a DX lens on the D600, maybe that's where you got he 16 megapixel ? That is I believe the number when you use a DX lens on the D600. Now for the Dust issue! Yes I had dust! ( Cleaned it easily) But I guess what Camera doesn't to some degree? My D7000 did as well. Sorry don't have any tank pictures right now to show you, but I have some other great shots I would be glad to share if you want to see the great pictures this Camera takes, long and short I am more than happy with the Camera and I would guess you would be as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD