bassman is on a distinguished road

Here is a pic of the pond liner sealing off the wall and floor

And here is the start of the "dry moat"

230 mixed reef / 230 gal sump/fuge
Old 06-10-2008, 05:11 PM

Default Update (Long)

Update.

Long story short the used 230 I purchased did not meet my standards in the light of day so I opted to use it as a sump instead. Therefore I have been busy installing it in the basement. I am pretty much done now, just a few little odds and ends to tie up and a bit of trim.

I needed an easy to build, cheap, super strong, open bottom stand so I went with cinder blocks. I already had a platform made for the main tank out of 2x4's and 3/4" plywood covered with pond liner and 1" of styrofoam so I just laid it across the cinder blocks.

I had never used cinder blocks before to build a stand I found them very easy to work with. They can be tricky to level but I found what I feel is a great shim material.

A lot of the time sand is used for leveling bricks so I was wracking my brain trying to think of something I could use on my concrete floor, obviously sand wouldn't stay in place without a little box or tray under the bricks. Then it hit me, shingles! normal ashphalt shingles, it's crushed ashphalt glued to tar paper, perfect!
I do expect it to mush down a little bit and deteriorate a little over time (depending on how often it gets wet) but I don't think it will ever become and issue. Even if all the paper disintegrated the granuals would still remain. So far so good anyways it's been a couple of weeks and the tank is still dead on level.

To cover the cinder blocks I used some old, unfinished hardwood flooring that was left here by the previous owners. It was a little trickier than I originally anticipated. This was due to the fact that I needed to make all the internal panels removable, not only removable but removable FAST as my plumbing and return pump are behind them. If there is ever a leak I won't have time to run around looking for a screw driver.

Basically I made a series of panels that pressure fit into place, one holds the next in place. The panels across the front are wired to the cinder blocks, I used screws sticking out the backside of the panels to allow me to plumb them vertically, this is key. The entire front must be perfectly true and square in order for the internal panels to line up properly. The other thing I should mention about building these panels is that I could not cut any boards lengthwise with my table saw, my pockets are empty and my blade is completely fried so that made things that much more interesting. LOL

Inside the tank I built a 12" wide x 48" long x 7" deep cheato compartment. I kept it back 12" from the front of the tank in order to allow my light to penetrate to the bottom where I have a little LR rubble tray where I may play around with fragging.

The rest of the sump is wide open, no baffles, only LR. I am keeping it bare bottom for ease of cleaning. I have more LR cooking now and I will accumulate more as times goes on.

For mechanical filtration I have 100 micron filter socks that I rotate. That's about it, I am keeping it simple.

As for the main tank I have finished all the framing and the cabinet structure now but I don't feel as though I should proceed with the "finishing" of the stand until I have the tank in place and filled. I am expecting some "settling" in the stand which may cause slight shifting that would throw my finishing work ever so slightly out of alignment. So I will have to build the tank before proceeding.

The long story bedind the used 230 I purchased ended with my wife getting me all the glass I would need to build a brand new 230. Not only did she get it for me she also had everything precision cut and water jet drilled from a brand new sheet of starfire!! Here is the best part, the company had everything cut, drilled, edged (minimum edge), crated and ready within 4 hours! Here is the REAL kicker......ready? it was 100% free !!! all of it! I just have to build it.

She used to work for a large glass company that supplies such places as Las Vegas (just a little bit of glass used there LOL). Anyway she is just one of those people that everyone loves and would bend over backwards for. She used to be the personal assistant to the president of the company whos *ss she has apparently saved on numerous occassions, so he told me as I was thanking him for the 50th time. LOL

Needless to say I am stoked!!

Here she sits....

Now the fun part, putting it together perfectly. If I put even one scratch in this tank after all this I am sure I will probably throw up right on the spot! LOL

Wish me luck.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:44 PM

BC Mosaic is on a distinguished road

Very nice set up.
I like the packaging for the cut glass and such a sweeeet deal !!
Looking forward to more photos of the process.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:22 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Tagging along...looks great so far
Old 06-10-2008, 07:34 PM

Here is a pic of the main tank stand awaiting the finishing and plumbing. All the framing is done now and the dry moat is in place. I do still have to build another "deck" as I used the original one for the sump tank. I want to get the main tank built and water tested outside before winter so it will have to wait for now.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:22 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

Wow, some neat ideas here, and a great story behind the display tank. Looking forward to watching this unfold!
Old 06-11-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus View Post
Wow, some neat ideas here, and a great story behind the display tank. Looking forward to watching this unfold!
Thanks Tony, I will be sure to take lots of pics. Where you will see the most ridiculously over cautious and anal tank assembly ever! LOL

Old 07-29-2008, 02:03 PM

drydock is on a distinguished road
Default Hey!

So did you take the summer off or something???

Some of us are still waiting to see what's happening next. This is as bad as the TV networks and waiting for the new season of your favorite show to start...

I'm impressed with your build so far. The drawing of the end result is really impressive... can't wait to see how it turns out so keep on with the photos and updates.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:51 PM

Treebeard is on a distinguished road

I just finished reading this thread from start to finish and can't wait to see what's next!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 PM

Sorry for the delay in progress, it's summer, what can I say. LOL

I did start the process of building the new tank the other day however.

I am going to be extra anal about this task. So I am covering both sides of the glass with 2 layers of packaging paper and taping the edges where the silicone will be applied. Once I have everything dry fit and ready to go I will remove the tape from around the edges and apply the silicone.

I did not have a decent work area or bench in my shop so I have been spending some time getting all that done first.

So far I have covered 2 of the panes and the centerbrace. I am hoping to get more done tonight.

I am still searching my local hardward stores for some proven silicone. Unfortunately I may end up having to drive to Prince George to pick some up, if they have it there.

So not a lot done so far but the wheels have started turning again. I need to get this tank built and water tested before winter so it won't be long now.

I post some pics later today of the glass covering process and just how anal one can get. LOL