Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Marine Fish

Old 08-14-2008, 06:16 PM

whosinpower is on a distinguished road
Default attacked!

Well, after purchasing a lovely RBTA for my clarkii clownfish - how does she show her gratitude?

I was doing a water change last night, and as always - I siphon off detritis and my ongoing battle with dinoflagellates. Out from the rocks darted this little demon bent on protecting her new pal - and she bit me!

I hollared and tried to brush her away - holy smokes what a determined little fish - she is only about 1 1l2 inches long - but you would never know it. And, get this - she never once attacked the hose - oh no -she had to go for the hand that was holding the hose - repeatedly. If I was within 2 ft of the anemone - she would flash out - bite and retreat, bite and retreat.

Nobody told her that she was a little fish. She drew blood once - the little &*(^$#%^&$%$! I knew they would be protective - but wow - I sure do hesitate to put my hands in there now - sheesh. I think she should appreciate my efforts to keep her home clean and show a little gratitude.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:54 PM

OCDP is on a distinguished road

I had a Clarkii at one point. Baaad idea. They definitely seem to be very defensive, aggressive, and territorial. I always got nipped at when I was doing anything in the tank. But, the thing I loved about these fish, was how much they loved their anemones. I spent many hours watching her have a blast in her RBTA. Too cool!

But needless to say, after a few months I found her a new home. Way too aggressive for my liking.

I've noticed with my new fish, if I have a turkey baster in the tank, they run and hide. They venture out briefly, but just the slightest movement from the baster and they are gone. You need to find something like that to keep her at bay while your working in the tank.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:05 PM

parkinsn is on a distinguished road

My Tomato clown does the same thing as soon as i go near my blue carpet, but she has never drawn blood lol
Old 08-14-2008, 07:34 PM

dsaundry is on a distinguished road

Bwaaahhaaaaahaaaaa
I have a pair of GSM's and yup ..they bite...they dont appreciate anything.....
Old 08-14-2008, 09:13 PM

muck is on a distinguished road

The little buggers always go for the tender skin between the fingers too..
Old 08-14-2008, 09:47 PM

hecks220 is on a distinguished road
Default victimized too

My clarkii surprised me about a year ago when i got it a new bta. Vicious onslaught of kamakaze attacks. Never drew blood though. Attacks whatever i put near it's host! I now wear aqua gloves whenever i go in there. You have to appreciate nature and it's instincts...

65g/20g reef system, Euro RS-80, 2x tunze 6055, mod 6025, mag7, 250 HQI w/192 actinics, 100 lbs. LR
46g FOWLR
Old 08-14-2008, 11:53 PM

i have crabs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muck View Post
The little buggers always go for the tender skin between the fingers too..
lol every time my hand goes in the tank i end up swearing my head off cause the same thing
Old 08-15-2008, 04:07 PM

SATELLITE is on a distinguished road

thats funny, cause i have the same problem with my tomato clown, which is about 1.5" big.. usually what i ahve to do is get a net and for the first hour get the clown into it and leave him in there until i'm done..
Old 08-25-2008, 07:24 AM

whatcaneyedo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to whatcaneyedo

My tomato clown attacks my gloved hand all of the time when I'm near her sebae. She will also shred up any xenia in the tank and has even taken bites out of the fins of my volitan lionfish. Dont mess with clowns!

Old 120gal Tank Journal
New 225gal Tank Journal
May 2010 TOTM
The 10th Annual Prince George Reef Tank Tour