Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 06-06-2012, 05:46 PM

NAS is on a distinguished road

Just a foot note thought.

I have seen this alot before in the inudstry. There are may different tanks and builds out there. A very good portion of them are successful.

There is one really important point here. Consistency!. The critters in your tank aclimate to your pattern (for the most part, Losses are lost. . .). The real killer is when you change your pattern. With the only exception of not using tap water to top off your tank daily/weekly, cause that is a tank killer regardless of your source water.

Just be diligent, and if it's not broken don't fix it. The day you do break pattern a little too much... BAMO!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Gold Member

mseepman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAS View Post
Just a foot note thought.

I have seen this alot before in the inudstry. There are may different tanks and builds out there. A very good portion of them are successful.

There is one really important point here. Consistency!. The critters in your tank aclimate to your pattern (for the most part, Losses are lost. . .). The real killer is when you change your pattern. With the only exception of not using tap water to top off your tank daily/weekly, cause that is a tank killer regardless of your source water.

Just be diligent, and if it's not broken don't fix it. The day you do break pattern a little too much... BAMO!
I think there is a lot of truth to this. A couple of years ago, my water changes suffered down to once every 2 months....but the tank looked great. Then I got focused on doing them again and I had a mini crash when I went to 10% per week...and my tank has never recovered since the mushrooms then took over.

290g Peninsula Display, 425g total volume. Setup Jan 2013.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

FishyFishy! will become famous soon enough

Look at this tank of the month on Reef Keeping Magazine.... Says that they haven't done a water change in over 3 years! I could only imagine having such a beautiful system with no maintenance lol

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

It's also using poor-boy equipment (minus the LED's) and the whole system is kind of a franken-system.... But man do they ever make it work wonders!

They call it addiction for a reason...

Last edited by FishyFishy!; 06-06-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:03 PM

George is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy! View Post
Look at this tank of the month on Reef Keeping Magazine.... Says that they haven't done a water change in over 3 years! I could only imagine having such a beautiful system with no maintenance lol

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

It's also using poor-boy equipment (minus the LED's) and the whole system is kind of a franken-system.... But man do they ever make it work wonders!
I don't doubt no water change can work for certain tanks. But regard this particular tank, I have doubt about its long term success. Long term in my book is 5+ years. The reason I said that is because he is using a bunch of additives to help with CA, Mg and Alk. Those additives have containment for sure. They may not kill your tank in a year or two, but leave the containment accumulated and they may cause trouble.
It's been speculated that a lot of old tank syndrome (melt down of old set up tanks) are caused by build up of heavy metal (although no scientific proof).
Old 06-06-2012, 09:57 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I don't doubt no water change can work for certain tanks. But regard this particular tank, I have doubt about its long term success. Long term in my book is 5+ years. The reason I said that is because he is using a bunch of additives to help with CA, Mg and Alk. Those additives have containment for sure. They may not kill your tank in a year or two, but leave the containment accumulated and they may cause trouble.
It's been speculated that a lot of old tank syndrome (melt down of old set up tanks) are caused by build up of heavy metal (although no scientific proof).
This is a 100% correct but there is scientific proof, although it's not very scientific but rather very simple. Additives like Magnesium sulphate and calcium chloride will gradually raise sulphate and chloride levels in the tank, this is obvious and has been discussed in published documents written by smart people. Eventually these levels will become toxic, how long depends on the tank but like other continents such as copper it can quickly ruin a tank with little warning.

Water changes therefore are required for long term success, how much and how often are the only variables. The problem is there are a few people out there who know very little and don't even understand the concept of a simple water change and how it can be used to control containment. They tend to believe they are breaking new ground because they are too lazy to do simple maintenance and because no obvious effects have been presented they spread the word of great success with zero maintenance.

While regular water changes are not necessarily required it's import to understand the risks and limitations. Those with success do so with limitations developed from experimenting with different livestock. They also don't do it because they are lazy but rather find it works best for their tank which no one can argue with.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 PM

RedCoralEdmonton is on a distinguished road

Contaminant....

Sorry bored at work...lol

Steve
Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCoralEdmonton View Post
Contaminant....

Sorry bored at work...lol

Steve
No I'm pretty sure copper is a continent or at least that's what auto correct thinks
Old 06-06-2012, 10:46 PM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphelps View Post
No I'm pretty sure copper is a continent or at least that's what auto correct thinks
not containment?
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishytime View Post
not containment?
Well that's the last post I make with an iphone