Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 03-17-2004, 05:42 PM

Quinn is on a distinguished road
Default SA 175w bulbs...

I thought there was a thread on this but I can't find it... for those of you using the SA 175w "10,000k" bulbs, what colour are they? Are they closer to 6,500k, true 10,000k, or 14,000k?

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 03-17-2004, 07:18 PM
UnderWorldAquatics

if you run them on a proper electronic pulse start ballast that they are designed to run on they are a nice crisp white with a slight blue tint.
if you run them on a non electronic, non pulse start ballast they may not run at the right colour tempeture, or it may not fire at all, same as various other bulbs in this industry...
Old 03-17-2004, 07:23 PM

Any experience with them running on Hamilton ballasts (Hamilton bell pendant specifically)?

Man, n. ...His chief occupation is extermination of other animals and his own species, which, however, multiplies with such insistent rapidity as to infest the whole habitable earth, and Canada. - A. Bierce, Devil's Dictionary, 1906
Old 03-17-2004, 08:16 PM
UnderWorldAquatics

no I havent run them on that setup personally, sorry
Old 03-17-2004, 08:19 PM

So on a proper ballast, are they bluer than Ushios?

Old 03-17-2004, 09:50 PM

reefer_11 is on a distinguished road

So basically you are saying if we run it off of your ballast it works fine.. anything but and they don't.. And most of the people out there run standard ballasts.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:01 PM

It seems to me that a bulb not firing on a Hamilton ballast would indicate a problem with the bulb, not the ballast... something like someone coming up with a new OS and complaining, saying that the computer hardware doesn't work with the OS (I've heard this complaint from Linux users in the past, "stupid video card, why doesn't it work with Redhat" - hardly a problem with the video card).

Old 03-17-2004, 10:10 PM
UnderWorldAquatics

yes if you run the sunaquatics bulbs on the sun aquatics ballasts the bulbs work great, they also work great on any other electronic pulse start ballast as do other bulbs in the industry, I am aware that alot of people have been running cheaper non electronic, non pulse start ballasts. Eroupean style metal halide bulbs are designed to be run on a pulse start ballast, some run them on other ballasts with good success, some have problems, hardly the fault of the bulb. Bulbs that have burnt yellow for a customer and were sent back to us have been fired on a "proper" ballast, and the bulb works perfect. Its kind of like buying a new car that runs on a certain type of oil, if you use the wrong kind of oil you end up with a broken down car. In my opinion, the sunaquatics 10K appears to be more white blue than the ushio, just by a hair.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:28 PM

Sounds good. So has anyone run one of these bulbs on a Hamilton ballast?

Old 03-17-2004, 11:54 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderWorldAquatics
if you run them on a proper electronic pulse start ballast that they are designed to run on they are a nice crisp white with a slight blue tint....
wo there big guy, there was no mention ever of them being designed to run on a electronic ballast. it was said that they were designed to run on normal ballast as well as pulse start. in other words to north american specs.

from what I have seen on the board and other boards the 175 has been a very dissapointing bulb even for its price. i am sure there are lots of sussess stories so befor you get your nickers up this is just what I have been reading.. you always seam to hear about the bad more than the good.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.