Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 09-15-2011, 04:59 AM

jimbog is on a distinguished road

take a close look ant the macro pic "the close up one" it doesnt hsve the cloved look but then again im the one asking right . is ther anything els it could be ???
Old 09-15-2011, 05:05 AM

BMahura is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechaninano View Post
I would guess maybe galaxy?
I would agree with mechaninano and say a galaxy
Old 09-15-2011, 05:06 AM

Mechaninano is on a distinguished road

does it have "sweeper tentacles" that come out (they sting)

25 gallon "nano"

90 gallon startup

5 gallon nano
Old 09-15-2011, 05:25 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechaninano View Post
I would guess maybe galaxy?
Not a Galaxy, this is mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starry View Post
Gonna say pagoda.
Not a Pagoda either

I can't think of the name or find it ATM but I have something the same in my frag tank that is green & also have a small piece that is the same color.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 09-15-2011, 05:47 AM

ScubaSteve is on a distinguished road

Yar, that be a Hydnophora sp. I don't have my books near me at the moment (by which I mean I am too comfy in bed to get my arse up) so I can't give you the exact species but I can assure you it's a hydnophora. If my memory serves me correct, it's probably H. bonsai but could potentially be H. pilosa or H. excesa. Cant say without seeing the skeleton with the polyps closed.

Feed it once or twice a week and it'll grow like a bugger. It is actually an LPS even though it looks like an SPS, so think of it's care more like an LPS. Be careful not to bleach it if you've thrown it up near the top of the tank right away if your lights are brighter than your friend's lights. The coral isn't exactly known to play nice with others, so give it some space until you figure out its "personality" (whether its a bit more mellow or a total spaz that tries to kill everything nearby).
Old 09-15-2011, 05:54 AM

The Grizz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Yar, that be a Hydnophora sp. I don't have my books near me at the moment (by which I mean I am too comfy in bed to get my arse up) so I can't give you the exact species but I can assure you it's a hydnophora. If my memory serves me correct, it's probably H. bonsai but could potentially be H. pilosa or H. excesa. Cant say without seeing the skeleton with the polyps closed.

Feed it once or twice a week and it'll grow like a bugger. It is actually an LPS even though it looks like an SPS, so think of it's care more like an LPS. Be careful not to bleach it if you've thrown it up near the top of the tank right away if your lights are brighter than your friend's lights. The coral isn't exactly known to play nice with others, so give it some space until you figure out its "personality" (whether its a bit more mellow or a total spaz that tries to kill everything nearby).
That the name I was trying to remember.

8' - 165gal Reef
DIY LED's Build
2012 Nano Contest Winner
Febuary 2013 POTM Winner
300 gal + 60 gal Complete DIY Build
Old 09-15-2011, 05:55 AM
R.I.P.

reefwars will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post

hahah yar lol
Old 09-15-2011, 05:57 AM

fishytime will become famous soon enough

dont put it anywhere near anything you value.......hydnophora pack an incredible sting and will win most, if not all battles
260g mixed reef, 105g sump, water blaster 7000 return, Bubble King SM 300 skimmer, Aqua Controller Jr, 4 radions, 3 Tunze 6055s,1 tunze 6065, 2 Vortech MP40s, Vortech MP20, Tunze ATO, GHL SA2 doser, 2 TLF reactors (1 carbon, 1 rowa). http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50034 . Tank Video here http://www.vimeo.com/2304609 and here http://www.vimeo.com/16591694
Old 09-15-2011, 08:14 PM

jimbog is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks to all it is Hydnophora pilosa

thank you all that posted in a timely fashion i have moved and fed this coral acordingly ... you guys rock also here is a pic of the new corals all tucked in place
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0900[1].jpg (51.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-15-2011, 08:50 PM

Haloreef is on a distinguished road
Default coral ID.

Carefull where you put that sucker It grows as fast as GSP. (Green Star Plague) but has a sting like Giant Hairy mushrooms. I picked up a tiny electric green frag and within a year the thing was half a foot accross in every direction and killed and digested every thing around it. It took forever to kill it off.
Be prepared to trim that thing down for the rest of your life, or think twice about keeping it.
I am not saying it's not a nice piece, just that it can grow like a weed.
Happy reefing!
Keith.