Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > DIY

Old 01-07-2009, 01:45 AM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road

I have searched for Polished Aluminum in the Vancouver area. Talked to a few metal distributers that have sent me to others but in the end I have found nothing. I am very interested in ordering from Ontario if anyone is willing to split the shipping I would be up for it.

Joe.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:56 AM

plutoniumJoe is on a distinguished road

My question now is if it is better to go with the hammered finish or the smooth. There is a 3% difference in the reflectivity. But would it be a more natural light scatter. Right now I have simple U shape reflectors made from 24" by 12" aluminum sheets bought at Home Depot.

Not to hi-jack the thread but GSP you have me excited about this project also. I am looking at building a metal brake out of some angle iron to help with the forming.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:44 AM

yeeg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
Not even close to the same price. I was about to pay $250 for two reflectors plus shipping. I just need the aluminum ($50) and some rivets. I have all the tools already (stepfather does) and I have the sockets and wiring. I am just making new reflectors to replace mine...maybe about $60-70 for two. Thats about $180-200 less.

Have you checked out the prices of the Lumenarc Minis??? $119 plus tax and shipping is the best I have seen but if you have seen better, please let me know!
whats your time worth? if its 10 bux an hour or less, then its worth your time to build it but if u normally make 25-50 bux an hour, I would think twice...But thats just my opinion.

650G Mixed, 5 - Lumenarc 250w 10K, 4 - Tunze Turbelle 6101 w/7095, BK 250 External

650# - Tonga LR, 49 sps, 9 lps, 4 softies, 10 mush/zoas, 1 clam

Blonde Naso, Sohal, 2 Yellow Tangs, Juv Emperor, CBB, Achilles, Kole, Solar Fairy Wrasse, paired pencil Wrasse, Cleaner Wrasse, Blue lined rabbit Fish, 8 clowns, lawnmower blenny, mandarin dragonet, sand sifting goby, abalone, tux urchin, black spiny urchin, 4 cleaner shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, 150+ snails/crabs/conches
Old 01-07-2009, 05:24 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
whats your time worth? if its 10 bux an hour or less, then its worth your time to build it but if u normally make 25-50 bux an hour, I would think twice...But thats just my opinion.
I make quite a bit more than that but I don't see the reasoning behind what my wage has to do with what I would be doing at home on my own time?

To be completely honest, I can afford to buy the Lumenarcs no problem but like the idea of saving money. The finished product some people are getting for half the price looks great.

Sorry, just don't see the link between my income and making a reflector
Old 01-07-2009, 05:40 AM

fkshiu is on a distinguished road

I think he means that what time and effort you put into this is time/effort that could have gone towards something else. In other words, is the money you save by DIYing worth the time and effort it takes to do so? This cost/benefit analysis goes into any DIY project.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:52 AM

GreenSpottedPuffer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkshiu View Post
I think he means that what time and effort you put into this is time/effort that could have gone towards something else. In other words, is the money you save by DIYing worth the time and effort it takes to do so? This cost/benefit analysis goes into any DIY project.
I figured that but to me that only applies if I were actually getting paid 24/7 and this was actually loosing me money

Otherwise all this is doing is taking away from...sitting in front of the TV, playing video games, maybe going to the bar, Canreef, I don't know...I waste all kinds of time

I bet if I had kids, I would just buy them

I also hate ordering things from the states and having them shipped. I can't find the mini's in Canada so far and the bigger ones don't fit my canopy.

Man...so many people seem to think this is a waste of time!

Last edited by GreenSpottedPuffer; 01-07-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 AM

Chris_A is on a distinguished road

Well I don't!

I'm very interested to see what you decide to do.

Also,
plutoniumJoe, I'd love to see what you do for the hand brake. I'm not exactly sure how you would make it so the brakes don't interfere with eachother but that said I haven't studied the drawings well or worked out the angles. I've actually thought about working up somthing like this only more elongated for my tank (20L with a 150 HQI) but I never seem to find the time at work. So if you have an idea with the hand brake I'd REALLY like to see it. Could do it at home then.

Chris
Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 AM

Veng68 is on a distinguished road

They called me crazy for doing this:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/sho...highlight=scan

But if you enjoy it.......... then the time is well spent.

Cheers,
Vic
Old 01-07-2009, 03:27 PM

yeeg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSpottedPuffer View Post
I figured that but to me that only applies if I were actually getting paid 24/7 and this was actually loosing me money

Otherwise all this is doing is taking away from...sitting in front of the TV, playing video games, maybe going to the bar, Canreef, I don't know...I waste all kinds of time

I bet if I had kids, I would just buy them

I also hate ordering things from the states and having them shipped. I can't find the mini's in Canada so far and the bigger ones don't fit my canopy.

Man...so many people seem to think this is a waste of time!
I'm not saying its a waste of time, I was just wondering if it was worth your time...Dont get me wrong, I love to save money as well but if it a matter of being able to buy the product vs build it myself, I would consider all sides of the equation. I did however, plumb my tank and thought it was a lot of fun. But then again, I cant buy a plumbed tank but I could have hired omeone to do the job.

It is different for me as the more I work, the more I increase my future pay whereas someone with a salaried job will only see instant compensation in terms of overtime or other benefits.

650G Mixed, 5 - Lumenarc 250w 10K, 4 - Tunze Turbelle 6101 w/7095, BK 250 External

650# - Tonga LR, 49 sps, 9 lps, 4 softies, 10 mush/zoas, 1 clam

Blonde Naso, Sohal, 2 Yellow Tangs, Juv Emperor, CBB, Achilles, Kole, Solar Fairy Wrasse, paired pencil Wrasse, Cleaner Wrasse, Blue lined rabbit Fish, 8 clowns, lawnmower blenny, mandarin dragonet, sand sifting goby, abalone, tux urchin, black spiny urchin, 4 cleaner shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, 150+ snails/crabs/conches
Old 01-07-2009, 05:36 PM

Delphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura aboutDelphinus has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Delphinus

It's only a waste of time if you think it is. I wouldn't make the reflectors myself, but I have 2 kids and not a whole lot of luck when it comes to making things come together and having them look good when all is said and done. But if I had access to the proper tools and materials and the desire, then I might. I DIY some things, I buy others. It's all about what you want to do and know what you can do and know what you probably can't do. I'll say this: now that I have Lumenarc reflectors in my possession, they are a lot chintzier than they look in pictures. Ie., they are just flimsy aluminum polished on one side, bent in a hundred places and then riveted together. I don't see any reason why one couldn't make their own provided they had access to a press and brake, and something to model it after. I say "press" because I think it would look like total crap if you used tin snips to cut the pieces. But the aluminum is so thin that you probably COULD use tin snips. I wouldn't have known how to make my own but now that I see them I bet I could make some if I had access to the proper tools.