Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 11-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough

Welcome back Jessie. Good to see you getting back into the addiction.

Anthony
Old 11-27-2009, 10:41 PM
bvlester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I left in 2004 and just got back in this summer. Moved in '04, had kids and never did set up a tank during that time until now. It took me a little bit of getting used to everything again. I had kept all of my old equipment from 5 years ago (surprisingly not much of it was outdated). I spent a couple of months researching (mostly posting questions on here) to see what was new. T5's are new, so I jumped on that bandwagon in combination with my existing halides. I never knew about the zeovit system until now - giving that system a shot. I guess Beckett skimmers are a bit outdated now (but I'm still using one) - Bubble King skimmers are the rage now. It seems that a lot more people are using 2 part dosing that I remember from back then. Herbie Overflows were new to me when I came back in. All in all, these new things are good and I'm soo glad to be back into the hobby and being broke again .

Welcome back to the hobby!
I go on a few different forums and there are alot of people still using Beckett skimmers and some people that have used them before upgrade to newer versions of them. I would not say they were realy out dated just not the rage right now.

Bill
Old 11-28-2009, 08:15 PM

props is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to props Send a message via MSN to props

Thank everyone!! I feel warm and tingly already!! =o) Nothing better than starting new. I'm heading out to JLs this weekend hoping to get more insight of the tank I'll be setting up and equipment needed. As for what corals to keep I haven't decided yet. It'll probably mainly softies/lps to start. And I want an pink anenemoemoene for my two daughters. =o)
I'll post more later.

Oh how are the Euroreef skimmers now a days ? or are the Bubble Kings the way to go ?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Staff

christyf5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by props View Post
Thank everyone!! I feel warm and tingly already!! =o) Nothing better than starting new. I'm heading out to JLs this weekend hoping to get more insight of the tank I'll be setting up and equipment needed. As for what corals to keep I haven't decided yet. It'll probably mainly softies/lps to start. And I want an pink anenemoemoene for my two daughters. =o)
I'll post more later.

Oh how are the Euroreef skimmers now a days ? or are the Bubble Kings the way to go ?
Euroreefs still rock, unless you've won the lottery, then go with a BK

My 180 Build

Every electronic component is shipped with smoke stored deep inside.... only a real genius can find a way to set it free.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 PM

Zoaelite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by christyf5 View Post
Euroreefs still rock, unless you've won the lottery, then go with a BK
+1, if you have the money to spend then go with the bubble king but I love my Euroreef and for what I payed for it its more than worth it.
Levi
Old 11-29-2009, 12:08 AM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

hey welcome back, not much has changed, you still want MH for the best lighting, T5 HO (is no T5VHO) has replaced VHO and PC. (about 50% more output than a PC)

skimmer have gotten better, you can actualy spend 200ish and get a diecent skimmer for up to 100 gal tank.

the other stuff, just like anything else depends on the fad at the time.

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:06 AM

Canadian is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StirCrazy View Post
hey welcome back, not much has changed, you still want MH for the best lighting, T5 HO (is no T5VHO) has replaced VHO and PC. (about 50% more output than a PC)

I know you like to say this but what is it based on? Your measurements of a Tek fixture in Safari way back when? For reference, I measured the PAR of my 6x24W ATI Sunpower fixture with 8 month old lamps in a 24x24x20 tank and found the following measurements:

At the surface: ~ 600-700 μmol m-2 s-1
Mid tank: ~ 400 μmol m-2 s-1
Bottom of the tank: ~ 200 μmol m-2 s-1

Please tell me how that supports the contention that "you still want MH for the best lighting" and the statement, "50% more output than a PC". From what I've seen of reported PAR values in numerous tanks, there are a lot of MH setups that would have a difficult time getting a PAR reading of 200 μmol m-2 s-1 20" below the surface (the old lamps notwithstanding). Also keep in mind these are values with fewer than 150W of light and mind the fact that shorter T5 lamps are known to produce considerably less PAR than longer lamps.
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

"Mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 11-29-2009, 04:08 PM

StirCrazy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
I know you like to say this but what is it based on? Your measurements of a Tek fixture in Safari way back when? For reference, I measured the PAR of my 6x24W ATI Sunpower fixture with 8 month old lamps in a 24x24x20 tank and found the following measurements:

At the surface: ~ 600-700 μmol m-2 s-1
Mid tank: ~ 400 μmol m-2 s-1
Bottom of the tank: ~ 200 μmol m-2 s-1

your own measurments confirm it.. I had 600 with the cheep bulbs and 720 with my ABs at the bottom of a 24" deep tank plus 6" air so for a distance of 30" so at the bottom my MH were putting out over 3X what your lights are.

you don't need to get defencive of the T5's though as they do have a place, they replaced PC, VHO ect and do a exalent job of it and offer more color combanations which is great. but for the pure punch power you can't beat MH.

another problem that comes to light is the numbers the T5 people like to use to compare are old sanjay tests and such were the MH were tested with out reflectors. test your T5 with out reflectors and tell me what happens. the same thing happened when 150watt DE first came out on the market, which led to claimes of being better than 400 watt SE set ups. the 150 bulbs were being tested with optimum reflextors against numbers that werre derived from black box testing.

to show how much reflectors can skew things, there is now way I should have had a higher PAR level with my 250 watt SE AB's than 400 watt SE's but I never found a 400 that could beat mine. but that is cuze I used computer generated reflector patterens designed for office lighting and made my own reflectors out of 98% silvernickel plated material which is the highest you could get at that time. the 400 Iwasaki was on a home made pollished aluminum reflector.

I have so standoffs and a good T5 ballast so I will get some bulbs and if I get my MH this week I will do some "no reflector testing" just have to figure out how to eliminate the reflector in a 150 watt DE. I can do it in my garage so I can set up exact distances from the center of the bulb. heck I can even go longer distances if I want to see the drop off values. won't be till after christmas though.. going to be busy with a new puppy next weekend for a while.

how are you liking your new meter and which one did you end up getting?

Steve
*everything said above is just my opinion, and may or may not reflect the views of this BBS, its Operators, and its Members. If cornered on any “opinion” I post I will totally deny having ever said this in a Court of Law…Unless I am the right one*

Some strive to be perfect.... I just strive.

Last edited by StirCrazy; 11-29-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:17 PM

Steve,

I wasn't commenting so much on the PAR differences between T5 and MH in my previous post. I was commenting on the statements you made: "MH is best" which is a pretty vague and subjective statement, and T5s produce "50% more output than a PC". The relatively low values with only 144W of 24W lamps in my tank show that you can readily get values throughout the tank that will happily keep SPS. There's no need to have PAR in excess of 700 μmol m-2 s-1 based on most of the recent publications on PAR and SPS. And with the ability to readily change out a lamp to change viewing color with T5s I'd have to say "T5 is best"

When you're talking about getting 600 and 720 μmol m-2 s-1 you aren't comparing a 250W MH to 144W of 24W T5s are you? That's not a very reasonable comparison.

The light spread with T5s is pretty uniform throughout the tank. This has its pros and cons. Most of the good reflectors for MH are now doing nothing to increase the intensity but are trying to improve spread. I believe Sanjay's PAR values are measured "hot spots" 18" directly under the lamp so, while the absence of a reflector will impact the numbers, it's probably not near the presumed significance. And I don't even look at Sanjay's reported PAR values. I prefer to look at real world measurements in a typical application including reflectors in someone's tank. So I wouldn't say I'm one of the "T5 people" to whom you're referring.

As I said above, my measured values are on the low end of the spectrum based on the fact that I'm using 24W lamps and only 6 of them. So I'd like to see some tank measured PAR values with PC lit tanks that support the contention that T5s produce 50% more output than PC on fairly compared tanks. From what I've seen about 18" away from two 36W PCs produces somewhere in the neighbourhood of 30 μmol m-2 s-1. Obviously, T5s benefit from the design improvement whereby they can be easily fitted into a high quality single light reflector and I'm not comparing equal wattages.

Quote:
how are you liking your new meter and which one did you end up getting?
I didn't end up buying one because Progressive Reef brought in a few Apogee Quantum MQ-200 meters and decided to use one as a "rental" unit. They also have a Hanna phosphate photometer so now I don't have to buy one

And congrats on the new puppy. It's a cutie!
SPS Dedicated 24x24x20 Trimless Tank | 20 g Sump | Bubbble King Mini 160 Protein Skimmer w/ Avast Swabbie | NP Biopellets in TLF Phosban Reactor | ATI Sunpower 6 x 24W T5HO Fixture | EcoTech Vortech MP20 | Modified Tunze Nanostream 6025 | Eheim 1260 Return Pump | GHL Profilux Standalone Doser dosing B-Ionic | Steel Frame Epoxy Coated Stand with Maple Panels embedded with Neodymium Magnets

Old 11-30-2009, 02:37 PM

This is the last time I take this thread off topic but it does address prop's original question about current hobby trends.

Here are PAR measurements on a T5 lit tank with 234W of 39W T5 lighting (a reasonably fair comparison to a typical 250W Halide):

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...0#post16117620

Last edited by Canadian; 11-30-2009 at 02:43 PM.