Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Old 04-28-2011, 04:41 PM

riceboy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to riceboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
These are the ones that I'm running on my full SPS tank now. I replaced 3 x 250W halides with 3 of these. It has been about 5 weeks and corals are still maintaining good colour and growth seems normal. At least I think they are these ones. I ordered mine from ebay and for 3 of them were $1000 shipped. Mine are black though. They are brandless.
really hmm, can you send me a pm of the seller on ebay that you had purchased the led from, i have bought led fixtures before but have thrown them out since it pretty much didn't grow anything, but they sure made the greens and orange glow in the tank
Old 04-28-2011, 05:05 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoD View Post
those are the ones im refering too, but i think the ones at AI are controllabe..... there's little red buttons on top that enable you to turn the LEDs on in 1/3rd sections

Not really what I meant by controllable,...these are I/O only... not dimable, not colour controlable, not programable (PC/APEX/RK/Profilux) etc.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:05 PM

Wanderer is on a distinguished road

I have bought from this seller before, mostly a few random bulbs and low wattage LED panels form my reptile enclosures. While the plants and animals look better under these, the build quality isn't stellar (flickering leds here and there).

I think the warranty is only something like 30 days. Aside from that, I have not really noticed anything detrimental. I wouldn't get in too deep on ebay products.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:16 PM

MarkoD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cale262 View Post
Not really what I meant by controllable,...these are I/O only... not dimable, not colour controlable, not programable (PC/APEX/RK/Profilux) etc.
oh ok my bad
Old 04-28-2011, 06:36 PM

sphelps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer View Post
I have bought from this seller before, mostly a few random bulbs and low wattage LED panels form my reptile enclosures. While the plants and animals look better under these, the build quality isn't stellar (flickering leds here and there).

I think the warranty is only something like 30 days. Aside from that, I have not really noticed anything detrimental. I wouldn't get in too deep on ebay products.
I've also purchased LED lights from this seller before as well as from their website, mostly house hold LED replacement bulbs such as GU10s. Pretty much all failed in some way within a year. So as far as I'm concerned this fixture wouldn't be much different, hardly a money saving investment if it only lasts a year.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:42 PM

cale262 is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...

now I feel silly, I just checked my e-bay history, I have bought lights from this seller, 4 MR11 LED replacement bulbs for my Edge...they're still going strong after almost two years of use...
Old 04-28-2011, 11:52 PM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy View Post
really hmm, can you send me a pm of the seller on ebay that you had purchased the led from, i have bought led fixtures before but have thrown them out since it pretty much didn't grow anything, but they sure made the greens and orange glow in the tank
It was this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Aquarium-LED-90w-...#ht_958wt_1141

Except I bought the 120watt version. They have a 300 watt version as well.

Hope this helps. I'm going to give it 6 months of testing before I sell my halides.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:39 AM

phi delt reefer is on a distinguished road

reefkoi imports their own versions from china - http://www.evolutionledlight.com/. Warranty is completed out of the States.

reeffiltration - http://www.shop.reeffiltration.com/c...1?categoryId=5 - also sells similar speced units but they are higher output. Hes moved away from 1w LEDs and is now using 2w bridgelux. They are a better design but can not be dimmed either.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:17 AM

mark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
It was this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Aquarium-LED-90w-...#ht_958wt_1141

Except I bought the 120watt version. They have a 300 watt version as well.

Hope this helps. I'm going to give it 6 months of testing before I sell my halides.
I'll be really interested in the review. Please.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:58 AM

Dez is on a distinguished road

Hey Mark,

First impressions is that it's got good build quality. It doesn't have heatsinks but seem to stay very cool. The fans are loud, but thank goodness I pretty much have a sealed canopy. Once you open the canopy that's all you hear are the fans. My tank temp has remained so consistent without the degree or two temp creep throughout the day.

It's been 5 weeks and several people have noted that there has been no change in my coral colours. Polyp extension and growth seem to be normal for my system. I have kept the same hours of lighting as my halides to keep it fair.

One thing I do miss is the "large" shimmer. These leds produce several "mini" shimmering effects in the water.

Like I said, I'll give it 6 months before selling my halides.

Only time will tell I guess. Hope this helps.